Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just rechecked the hydrometer reading with two different ones from yesterday and its at 0.988 (after a quick degassing), and is definitely very dry.

It's been on a heat mat for the last two weeks and kept at a fairly constant 22degrees. Although the long ferment is down to me holding back 2kg of sugar in 2l of water until the initial fermentation settled down (which I was glad of because it was pretty active).

Will it be ok racking with it still bubbling so much?

If it's that dry I am surprised it's bubbling, I have finished wines early with no problem but keep an eye on it once racked if you think it's still fermenting.

Just a quick update.

I racked the wine on Tuesday (due to other commitments rather than anything else) onto bentonite and tried it tonight, it's lovely. A tad on the dry side for me, bit the body for it is lovely and at roughly 30p per 500ml I can't complain at all.

I got roughly 90% yeild. I did notice on racking there was still a thick layer of crud on top of the brew aside from that and the hydrometer reading everything went text book :-).

Do any of you know if Lidl have stopped selling Red Grape Juice? No sign of white or red on Sunday:thumbd:

Go to Morrisons if you can, best red grape I ever had don Simon, it’s really good. They do a white grape too.
thanks Steve, I've started looking around and i see that Sainsburys do one from 100% concentrate has that been tried?

I started a wow a week ago. 2ltr rgj 1ltr Apple and 500g sugar. Nutrient and yeast. After going berserk it’s bubbling slower now. Is there any point putting tea and pectolase in now as I forgot initially.
Thinking of racking this weekend as quite a lot of sediment.
Thanks.

Winemakers academy suggest the temps below but i have fermented white wine much higher than 7 - 16 c with no adverse effects.

According to yeast producer Wyeast red wines should be fermented between 70 and 85 degrees F (20-30 degrees C). You’ll get better color and tannin extraction at the higher end of this spectrum.

In this temperature range fruity flavors and aromas don’t get preserved which can be good for a red wine. When fermentation temperatures that approach 90 degrees F though you can run into cooked flavors.

White wine fermentation temperatures should be between 45 and 60 degrees F (7-16 degrees C). These lower temperatures help preserve fruitiness and volatile aromatics, characteristics more in line with a white wine.

White wine fermentations take longer. Academy member Rob ferments his white wines at 45 – 50 degrees and they can take up to a couple months to complete.

Winemakers academy suggest the temps below but i have fermented white wine much higher than 7 - 16 c with no adverse effects.
i've just put a Amphora white wine kit on which i had at 16-19 degrees and was getting no yeast action, have now sat in a water bath at 25 degrees which the instructions recommend to see if i can get it going. Seems high to me though 25 deg.

Bugger, I've switched off my heating mat now, so will hopefully drop down into the white wine territory. I've put on a tropical fruit wow, but from reading your quote @Chippy_Tea it's going to kill the flavour. Hopefully I've saved it in time it couldn't have been that high for more than a few hours...

I wouldn't worry as I said I ferment in the high twenties throughout summer as I have no means of cooling and all the white kits I have made have been fine.

Sorry for the noob question but if I wanted to make a red wine would I just use a red grape concentrate? Something like what you get at wilko?

Cheers

Latest posts

Back