Surcrose Vs Dextrose Vs Maltose

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calumscott

Regular.
Reaction score
I think I've got to the bottom of the whole thing...

I may have a plausible answer for the Sucrose Vs Dextrose debate but to get there I've had to chuck Maltose into the wort, so to speak.

Firstly what are they? Well they're all sugars.

Sucrose: a disaccharide comprising one Fructose and one Glucose molecule, found in and refined from sugar cane and sugar beet.
Dextrose: a monosaccharide which is a "mirror-image" or "left-handed" glucose molecule. Also known as brewing sugar.
Maltose: a disaccharide comprising two glucose molecules, found (fortuitously) in malted barley...
Fructose: a monosaccharide normally found in high concentrations in, not surprisingly, fruit. Also known as fruit sugar.
Glucose: the basic monosaccharide to which all others are compared and the most important source of energy for living things.

Yeast can produce alcohol, by fermentation - a form of anaerobic respiration, from all of these as a by product of releasing the energy they need to survive, grow and reproduce.

I believe now, having read a fair bit of stuff, that there are fundamental differences in the biochemical processes that our yeasts use to metabolise those sugars.

Mono Vs Disaccharide

The first thing you notice about sucrose is that there are two energy giving monosaccharides in each molecule. The yeast is going to have to split that apart before it can use it.

To do this it uses an enzyme (basically a protein which acts as a catalyst for the chemical reaction) called invertase or to give it its full proper name, beta-fructofuranosidase. This, on the face of it shouldn't be a problem, its a protein made in the yeast cell to break down sucrose after all. Well, yes and no. There are two types that yeast produce. One intracellular (within the cell) and one extracellular (outside the cell), yes it's made in the cell but it is pumped out through the cell wall to split the sucrose in the substrate (your beer) before being absorbed into the yeast cell as glucose or fructose. There is now a protein in your beer that you didn't mean to be there. Clearly if the yeast doesn't have to break down sucrose, it won't expend the energy producing invertase in the first place, either intra- or extracellularly.

"But Maltose is a disaccharide!" I hear you cry. It is indeed but it is a disaccharide that comprises two glucose molecules and so the bond between them is different and so a different enzyme is required to catalyse the splitting reaction. Maltase is that enzyme and it seems that there is no extracellular form, it resides within the yeast cell at all times (unless you suffer lysis or "cell bursting"). The maltose is absorbed (or rather adsorbed as it is actively forced into the cell) by the yeast and is broken down in the cell tissue to its component glucose molecules there.

So Dextrose and Maltose = no extracellular enzymes
Sucrose = extracellular invertase.

Glucose Vs Fructose

So dextrose is, at the fermentation biochemistry level, just glucose - it behaves exactly the same.

What I have found is a paper on winemaking citing various experimental sources on the action of various strains of yeast on both glucose and fructose and, what appears to have happened is that over centuries, winemakers have (just as the beer brewers have) selectively bred their yeast to perform their fermentation on the sugars in their must/wort to produce the flavour profile they want. The short version is that relative utilisation of the two sugars differs from strain to strain, each being particularly suited to grape variety and style - just the same as beer strains being suited to style.

So given that beer is traditionally made from wort containing mostly maltose (2 x glucose) it is fair to suggest that our beer yeasts are most suited (and have been selected for) their glucose performance and not their fructose performance. If the yeast is less speciallised in fructose performance it stands to reason that it will be less efficient in the process and not inconceivable that it is more likely to ferment fructose incompletely, either leaving intermediate molecules "lying around" or simply giving up and leaving fructose for other potential invaders to utilise. Those intermediate molecules by the way are pyruvate and acetylaldehide - sherry, metallic, green apple and sour flavours...

This probably also explains why winemakers experience few problems using sucrose - their yeasts are "trained" to ferment fructose well where beer yeasts will be selected for their glucose performance.

So there you have it, some amateur sleuthing on the biochemistry of glucose and fructose and sucrose and dextrose and maltose and the genetic selection of yeast.

Enjoy!

A nice bit of background . . . however there are some mistakes I am afraid

Dextrose is glucose . . it is just dextrorotatory rather than laevorotatory (It turns the plane of polarised light to the right rather than to the left). This is because glucose is a chiral molecule (it has two optical isomers D and L) IIRC 'natural' glucose is around 95% D and only 5% L . . . There is one important fact why this is important. Enzymes work on the Lock and Key principle, the enzyme is the lock and the substrate is the key, now if a key doesn't fit the lock it won't open and the same applies to enzymes and substrates. The D form and the L form are different shapes, and therefore it is only the D form that can be utilised by enzymes.

There are other issues with some of your other posts, but I haven't got time to post further.

I
Aleman said:
A nice bit of background . . . however there are some mistakes I am afraid

Dextrose is glucose . . it is just dextrorotatory rather than laevorotatory (It turns the plane of polarised light to the right rather than to the left). This is because glucose is a chiral molecule (it has two optical isomers D and L) IIRC 'natural' glucose is around 95% D and only 5% L . . . There is one important fact why this is important. Enzymes work on the Lock and Key principle, the enzyme is the lock and the substrate is the key, now if a key doesn't fit the lock it won't open and the same applies to enzymes and substrates. The D form and the L form are different shapes, and therefore it is only the D form that can be utilised by enzymes.

There are other issues with some of your other posts, but I haven't got time to post further.

OK... so just a minor point that as far as I can make out has no bearing on the basic tennets of the post, those being that extracellular invertase and suppressed fructose utilisation in beer yeast strains would be highly likely candidates for dextrose being a better sugar for beer production than sucrose...

...or have I missed something?

Now thats my kinda science lesson, well done!
, just to add (from a dental students perception) sucrose may be useful in sensible quantities(max 30% added sugar otherwise as mentioned get winey flavour) from a yeasts point of view in that the glucose to fructose bond contains a larger amount of potential energy which oral bacteria like strep mutans use to build extra sticky extracellular polysaccharides faster than with other sugars, which is why sucrose is worst for your teeth :thumb:

then again yeasts r a bit different to bacteria so sucrose helping yeast could be bull? :wha:

Good explanation. I guess this is the background behind why using brewing sugar gives a cleaner taste :)

Would there not be occasions where the not so clean taste is an advantage though? Obviously with a lager you want it as clean as possible but with a fruity ale would it not be better to perhaps utilise this aspect?

calumscott said:
Dextrose: a monosaccharide which is a "mirror-image" or "left-handed" glucose molecule. Also known as brewing sugar.

I have heard this mean times on the forum and it always confuses me. I have always assumed that this mean you are using the L isomer and not the D. As Aleman has said 95% is D and it is only D that is fermented so what is this "mirror image" version?

On a slight side note:- It is currently being researched how to synthesis L glucose as humans can not digest it so it would act as a sweetener but not be digested. Would be very good for back sweetening wine :thumb:

I deliberately stayed clear of that train of thought but yes, in some styles I guess it's desirable.

Just take a look at what the belgians do...

They "invert" sugar to make Candi; split sucrose into glucose and fructose through a boiling process with acid I think? Citric? Can't remember, I did read the how-to once, decided it was a faff and bought some from Rob!!

So you keep the fructose but don't introduce the extracellular invertase because the yeast doesn't feel the need to produce it.

Makes perfect sense to me!

alanywiseman said:
calumscott said:

I have heard this mean times on the forum and it always confuses me. I have always assumed that this mean you are using the L isomer and not the D. As Aleman has said 95% is D and it is only D that is fermented so what is this "mirror image" version?

On a slight side note:- It is currently being researched how to synthesis L glucose as humans can not digest it so it would act as a sweetener but not be digested. Would be very good for back sweetening wine :thumb:

Aleman's right, of course. I guess when they label it dextrose it's because it's 100% D-glucose? Rather than calling it glucose which could be interpreted to be 95% D/5%L?? :hmm:

calumscott said:
OK... so just a minor point that as far as I can make out has no bearing on the basic tennets of the post, those being that extracellular invertase and suppressed fructose utilisation in beer yeast strains would be highly likely candidates for dextrose being a better sugar for beer production than sucrose...

Check the first step in the utilisation of glucose IIRC (and I really wanted to check it first in my Uni biochem books) Glucose is converted and phosphorylated to fructose 1 phosphate . . . which means that beer yeasts have not evolved to not use fructose properly!! In fact they have to use fructose.

I just don't buy the 'extracellular invertase' argument either . . . but that I am going to have to check up on :D

Aleman said:
calumscott said:

Check the first step in the utilisation of glucose IIRC (and I really wanted to check it first in my Uni biochem books) Glucose is converted and phosphorylated to fructose 1 phosphate . . . which means that beer yeasts have not evolved to not use fructose properly!! In fact they have to use fructose.

http://digital.csic.es/bitstream/10261/15379/3/Tronchoni Int J Food Microbiol.pdf

And I'll refer you back to that "lock and key" analogy. The key for the glucose lock to turn it into fructose-1,6-phosphate is going to look a bit different to the one that would turn fructose into fructose-1,6-phosphate surely?

Aleman said:
I just don't buy the 'extracellular invertase' argument either . . . but that I am going to have to check up on :D

extracellular invertase here: http://www.ajbasweb.com/ajbas/2009/1910-1919.pdf
no extracellular maltase here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC124116/

When wild-type Saccharomyces cerevisiae strains pregrown in maltose-limited chemostat cultures were exposed to excess maltose, release of glucose into the external medium was observed. Control experiments confirmed that glucose release was not caused by cell lysis or extracellular maltose hydrolysis.

BTW: I'm not saying that this is definitive proof that sucrose causes problems, it's just some stuff that I've found that appears to back the argument for sticking to dextrose when using sugar in beers where you are trying to increase ABV and avoid any off-flavours.

EDIT: Of course, to get that proof would require some pretty controlled experimental conditions and time and equipment, none of which I have to hand so a bit of trawling the net, a bit of background textbook reading and a big pinch of hypothesis and conjecture is as good as it's ever going to get...

Make 4 solutions with water. 2 with dextrose, 2 with table sugar. Add ale yeast to 1 dex and 1 sugar, add wine yeast to 1 dex and 1 sugar.

See which tastes the best :D

ScottM said:
Make 4 solutions with water. 2 with dextrose, 2 with table sugar. Add ale yeast to 1 dex and 1 sugar, add wine yeast to 1 dex and 1 sugar.

:lol: :thumb:

We still wouldn't have a clue if the possible mechanisms I uncovered were responsible if there was a noticeable difference in taste...

...further it's not beer, sucrose wash might simply taste better than dextrose wash, but in combination with the flavour profile of hops and unfermentible stuff from malt it's a totally different landscape.

It really needs some very clever chemist dudes to pick out all the flavour chemicals from beers brewed under lab conditions.

calumscott said:
ScottM said:

:lol: :thumb:

We still wouldn't have a clue if the possible mechanisms I uncovered were responsible if there was a noticeable difference in taste...

...further it's not beer, sucrose wash might simply taste better than dextrose wash, but in combination with the flavour profile of hops and unfermentible stuff from malt it's a totally different landscape.

It really needs some very clever chemist dudes to pick out all the flavour chemicals from beers brewed under lab conditions.

Surely the best for normal beer/lager would be the one with the least taste though? Allowing the flavours from the malt and hops to come through rather than the additional sugar?

ScottM said:
Surely the best for normal beer/lager would be the one with the least taste though? Allowing the flavours from the malt and hops to come through rather than the additional sugar?

Oh, for the day-to-day decision of what to brew with absolutely, which ever tastes the least rather than "the best" would be a fine meaure. It answers the "what?". :geek:

It won't answer the "why?" though... :ugeek:

Latest posts

Back