Swapping gas in for beer out

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euan1984

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to put the gas in through the beer out to carbonate as it seems so bubble a lot better this way although I only tried it on a small batch as an example turned out okay,

I would have thought that you would need a non return valve in the gas line as there is much more likelihood of getting beer forced down the gas line from the beer out dip tube to the regulator if the keg pressure becomes greater than the line pressure.

https://goo.gl/7JhaCG
after watching this quite a while back now, I have done it a few times with no trouble but I never could see what it achieved introducing the gas directly into the beer as I would have thought most of it rises up thru the beer into the space between the lid and the beer and still takes it time to go into soloution,you may as well shake it as per usual

https://goo.gl/7JhaCG
after watching this quite a while back now, I have done it a few times with no trouble but I never could see what it achieved introducing the gas directly into the beer as I would have thought most of it rises up thru the beer into the space between the lid and the beer and still takes it time to go into soloution,you may as well shake it as per usual

I suppose its like a sodastream. The gas 'probe' goes into the water and bubbles the co2 through it.

I've thought about swapping the in for the out myself.

Has anyone tried to put the gas in through the beer out to carbonate as it seems so bubble a lot better this way although I only tried it on a small batch as an example turned out okay,

I do exactly that. I have a secondary gas line off the reg that I and set it's own pressure on which has a black (liquid) disconnect on it. Once I keg my beer, I plug it into the liquid post, set to 12 - 15 PSI and go away for 2 weeks to let it bubble up through.
Once done, I put my regular gas line on the in post, the hook the tap up to the liquid post and start drinking!

I have a line off my gas manifold purely for 'force-carbing' through the BEER/OUT post. After CC, fill the keg and ramp the pressure up to ~40PSI. Gently shake/rock the keg as the CO2 is forced through the beer. After about 45sec, disconnect the gas and leave the keg for half a minute. Should get you pretty close to having a nicely carbed beer without having to wait to carb up at serving pressure.

Granted, I find a beer carbs up nicer at serving pressure over a week, but for a beer that can be drank young, it is a quick method to carb and drink a beer in the same day.

Latest posts

Back