Keeping CO2 level...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengee

Reaction score
Hi. I've got full corny keg that's been sitting in my shed for a couple of weeks. Tried some last night and the taste is a bit off IMO. I also thought it was a little flat.
I've been going out to the shed every couple days and turned the co2 on, to 1 bar, after a short while I turn the gas off . Is this best practice? Or is it better to leave gas on permanently?

I also have been charging to 1 bar as I read this was a good pressure to keep beer/IPA at. Would increasing the pressure bring more life into the beer? Or would that have a detrimental effect?

Co² tank should be left on ideally.

What temp is your shed out? You can figure out the exact pressure you need to suit the style/your tastes from that.

Co² tank should be left on ideally.

What temp is your shed out? You can figure out the exact pressure you need to suit the style/your tastes from that.
Its pretty cold over the winter, dont know the exact temperature unfortunately.
When i charged it up yesterday i could hear a noise coming from the PRV, so i put pressure on it and the noise ceased. So, it looks like i may have had a small leak.
Think i'll give the PRV a clean

I never had a gas leak...until I did...on a fresh 10l co2 tank that I found completely empty. I no longer leave it on full time. Get the beer to your desired carb level by charging and make sure the gas is connected as you draw beer off so the keg pressure is always equalised. Works for me.

I leave mine on and never had a problem but it is one of those things that splits opinions. Worst case scenario if something goes wrong is you need to get a refill which is around £20 (assuming you are using a full size bottle)

Latest posts

Back