sweetening wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo65

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

can you get sweetner additives instead of using sugar, I have looked at a few online home brew shops but they don't seem to do any.

I have a wine that is too dry, and wish to sweeten slightly/

Help Jimbo

I've not sweetened my wines as I usually stop them around 1004-1006 which is perfect sweetness for my missus. I do however sweeten my turbo ciders as when fully fermented they are dry and quite bitter, most use splenda or I just use any spoon for spoon type granular or powdered sweetener from any of the big supermarkets.

SANY1869.JPG

My earlier answer was a little simplistic so here is a copy of a post i have just made to a similar question in another thread.

I used to put a teaspoon of sugar in the bottle just before drinking then give it a good shake, its not the best method as it doesn't dissolve properly but it does the job. (i have now got used to a dryer wine so no longer back sweeten)

You can also use grape juice.

If you make your WOW using the videos in post one of the supermarket juice recipe thread (HERE) then stop it at .995 it will be a little sweeter, the ABV will be a little lower but not by much.

Latest posts

Back