Talisman - Building a Fowler B6 Road Lion Steam Locomotive

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I love the age of steam we have a small working steam railway locally and i have just been watching Old steam engine Talisman recreated from scratch on BBC news site. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-shropshire-43036128/engine-with-titanic-link-to-steam-back

images

Old steam engine Talisman recreated from scratch

A type of steam engine in use about 100 years ago including carrying parts for the Titanic is being recreated from scratch.

The huge Talisman machines once carried loads in excess of 100 tonnes, although just five were made - and only one remains.

That is set to change thanks to efforts to build a Talisman from the ground up in Cumbria.

Behind the build is Alex Sharphouse, from Bouth near Ulverston, who owns John Fowler & Co (Leeds) Ltd - one of the leading manufacturers of steam engines throughout the 1800s and 1900s.

The project is sponsored by Shrewsbury-based Morris Lubricants which celebrates its 150th anniversary in 2019 - the year Mr Sharphouse hopes to take the engine on tour, following a planned August unveiling at Shrewsbury Steam Rally.

Update.

Last edited:
The times I catch the train rather than cycle to work, I change at Clapham Junction. There's always a couple of train spotters on the platforms or on the walkway bridge as its the busiest station in the UK. But one day, a couple of months ago, I was waiting for my train an sort of noticed a larger than normal amount of train spotters on the same platform as myself. I didnt really think anything of it until suddenly a majestic old steam train passed through the station on the platform opposite the one I was on. It really brightened up a boring commute

Back