Tap on Corny wont stop the beer flowing...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randalicous

Reaction score
Guys.

I got a new Corny setup from Norm, there is an IPA in there which has been on the gas now for 5 days. Over the course of the 5 days I have twice drawn liquid out to see the difference in Carb levels.

Though there is no obvious bubbles rising there is a hint of carb in the Beer and im sure I will work out eventually why this is....

But my question is this: I got a party tap thing from Norm.. As I understand it, I release all the pressure in the keg, put the tap on the liquid out and re set the pressure to a minimal setting 3psi or so. Once I open the gas back up, I can draw beer out through the tap, albeit a little foamy at this stage.

However, when I release the tap trigger beer continues to flow/foam out the tap. It will not stop until I either twist the ball valve about a bit, though this is hit and miss and sometimes does not stop the flow. Or turn off the gas and bleed the keg, and the beer slowly runs until a trickle and it stops. Am I doing something wrong? Or perhaps have a faulty tap? Im sure the tap should completely cut off the flow and maybe after a few drips stop all liquid coming out, but this gushes to the point of having to fill up the pint glass and have a bucket next to me to catch the flow, of which is wasting my brew.

Any help please.

Thanks

Steve.

Sounds as though the valve in the corny is stuck if you take the party tap off does the beer come out the valve ? If that's not the case then the party tap may be dodgy have you spoke to norm he is pretty good and can advise you

Sounds like the tap is your problem.

You don't even have to reduce pressure to change taps on a corni, the ball ( or pin ) locks can be changed whilst pressurised. The tap however should allow you to stop the beer coming out...

I'd drop Norm a line - he is v helpful if there are any issues - he sent me a couple of poppets for a keg I had bought which had a slight leak from a post. :thumb:

you don't always have to release all pressure inside then set to serving pressure, you can let a bit of gas out the valve then try again. if you've got it carbing at say, 20 psi, then you will have to vent a bit out otherwise you will get a pint of foam but try releasing it a little then try pouring with the remaining gas in the cornie, otherwise you're going to go through and waste alot of gas.

There is a little plastic screw nut on the tap end of the tap. Is that screwed up as tight as it will go?

So I contacted Norm and he sent me a new tap head :clap:

And now it works like a charm...so it was a dodgy tap. :drink:

Thanks for your help.

31bb3 said:
Sounds as though the valve in the corny is stuck if you take the party tap off does the beer come out the valve ? If that's not the case then the party tap may be dodgy have you spoke to norm he is pretty good and can advise you

I also have new cornies from Norm. Similar problem. Set to 20 psi for a few days. Released the pressure last night to sample my first pint using a party tap. Took off the tap went to bed only to find this morning beer coming out of the liquid out post. Perhaps just over a pints worth on the floor. So I imagine it was a stuck valve. What do I do? Don't want to be worrying every time I use it or have to go back in 15 mins after the keg has been used to see if its leaking from the out post each time.

On a separate note do you guys push the psi back up when not serving etc?

Once the cornie is attached to a tap I leave the tap on. For party taps only around 3 psi is needed to serve, and I just turn the gas on to draw my pint, then switch it off when I'm done.

Once a tap is connected to the 'Out' post, the poppet inside the post is held down and the beer is free to flow past it, so it's up to the tap to hold/release the flow of beer.

The posts can be disconnected and serviced. There's a great topic on it in the How To section. http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1219

If the post is letting beer escape it may need serviced and a seal replaced, or it may simply need a good clean.

Thanks, got them from Norman so thought the posts/seal should be brand new etc? Maybe when I pulled off the tap the inside valve didnt close poperly letting the beer flow out.

P.S are you saying other taps. keggaerator etc need a higher psi to dispense? That's were I am going next.

'Morning all, I'm new here so please excuse the ignorance. Just been reading about Corny kegs and I think I will want one in the future, so I have one question at the moment...who, what where is Norm. He seems to be the bloke I will need to contact when i'm ready. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum Nero :cheers:

Norm has got the UK market for reconditioned Corny kegs and everything to go with them pretty well sewn up.

If you click on the "Links" button at the very top left, his listing and email address is 2nd from the top.

If you search on ebay for "Cornelius" you can't help but find his items on there, but you might get an even better deal if you use the email and say THBF have sent you.

Latest posts

Back