Tap Water Vs Filtered

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldGezzer

Reaction score
Morning All
Was talking to a mate about the home brewing the other day, and he mentioned about using the tap water for fermenting a brew, how it may give the dreaded
( homebrew taste) when drinking. Now I doe no much about this being a beginner ,so got me thinkin about using the water filter we use in the kitchen to make a 5 gallon brew.,i know it could be a lengthy process gettin 5 gallon of filtered water but, could be worth it. My water is hard cus it makes a **** cup of tea from the tap ,but usin the filter yo can tell the difference. Any thoughts Anyone
CHEERS.

My water is extremely hard: 350ppm. So I will typically use RO or distilled water and then add in some of my tap water and brewing minerals based on my target profile. I use Beersmith to do the calculations.

Ok young man thank you for the reply. I will Aave a look ay look at Beersmith
Tarra A Bit

What type of filter is it? I would say it will most likely be fine.
I assume you are doing a kit since you say you will be fermenting with tap water? Id say that as long as you remove the chlorine and chloramine you should be fine to use tap water.

I wouldn’t bother with filtered water because it will make little difference. It will remove sediment if your water is that bad and maybe some of the chlorine smell, but...

If you use tap water, even if filtered, you should add some crushed campden tablet to the water. 1/2 a tablet should be enough for up to 30 litres. This will neutralise any chlorine or TCP taints in your beer by neutralising the trace chemicals put in the water by your water company to keep the water free of bugs.

This is all many people will do in respect of water treatment but if you want to look further into water treatment have a look at the excellent information posted by @strange-steve linked below:

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...ore-advanced-water-treatment-in-post-1.64822/

I wouldn’t bother with filtered water because it will make little difference. It will remove sediment if your water is that bad and maybe some of the chlorine smell, but...

If you use tap water, even if filtered, you should add some crushed campden tablet to the water. 1/2 a tablet should be enough for up to 30 litres. This will neutralise any chlorine or TCP taints in your beer by neutralising the trace chemicals put in the water by your water company to keep the water free of bugs.

This is all many people will do in respect of water treatment but if you want to look further into water treatment have a look at the excellent information posted by @strange-steve linked below:

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...ore-advanced-water-treatment-in-post-1.64822/
Ive just started a Festival American IPA kit off this morning. We're in a hard water area and I did the campden tablet in tap water overnight ready for this morning. First time I've done that and I must say there's no sign of any chlorine smell today. 😃

Just my way but I always add a half of a Camden tablet to a sterilised fermenter first thing on brew day, then just leave it till every thing else is done ( whether mashing or doing a quick kit ) then just use it as an when needed, never had any issues, so really no need to let it sit overnight at all 👍

Latest posts

Back