TC advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnadibble

Reaction score
Evening guys. After a long absence (and a longer divorce) it's time to get a brew on. I'm still really a newbie.
I've got 23ltrs of TC on the go and have a couple of questions.
I stewed three tea bags and added four/five teaspoons (I think) into the brew. I like my cider dry. Will this be dry enough? If not, can I add more during fermentation?
Second, am I right thinking that if I bottle the TC, I shouldn't stop the primary fermentation?
I've seen some plastic PET beer bottles and caps in Tesco. Coopers brand for beer. Anybody used these? If so, can I use carbonation tablets or should I prime with sugar. With them being plastic screw top bottles, am I safe with these?
Any advice welcome.

Hey mate

I'm no way a pro but I'll offer some advice

Bottles will be fine I've used them with TC [emoji106]

I batch prime in a secondary FV with sugar but you could do it with drops I just find it easier once fermentation has stalled/finished at about 1000 rack and prime or prime ur bottles and bottle

As for the tea the going number is usually 5 tea bags in 1l of water for a 23/25l batch but in all honest I didn't think this affected the dryness of the side I thought that came in to play with forced stopping of fermentation ie stopping before 1000 for a sweet but still cider but again am no pro so I'll leave that one to someone else to explain

[emoji111]🏼️

So, I got the bottles covered which is good.
Looks like I've got the dry side covered.
I'm a bit concerned with the timing of my brew. Started it last Monday I think. It's started to slow and I'm away for the weekend. Will this have any effect when I come to carbonation. Will I still get some fizz if the primary has stopped completely?
How much sugar should I put into the FV for batch priming.
Sorry if these questions are a bit dumb.

I'm a bit concerned with the timing of my brew. Started it last Monday I think. It's started to slow and I'm away for the weekend. Will this have any effect when I come to carbonation.

Will I still get some fizz if the primary has stopped completely?

1. No. There will be no effect whatsoever if you leave the brew over the weekend. It will ferment further and be a bit dryer but that's all. You shouldn't even consider bottling the brew until you get two identical SGs on two consecutive days and it has settled.

2. Yes. There will be more than enough yeast left in the suspended brew to start carbonation.

3. I could tell you but I want to encourage you to use the "Calculators" at the top of this page. Read the Priming Calculator one carefully, feed in the amount of the brew and the CO2 you require and then make your own choice. It might even come close to 6g of sugar per 650ml bottle. :whistle:

4. If they handed out money for dumb questions I would be a millionaire! I'm not because on this Forum there is no such thing as a dumb question! :lol:

Enjoy! :thumb:

So, I got the bottles covered which is good.
Looks like I've got the dry side covered.
I'm a bit concerned with the timing of my brew. Started it last Monday I think. It's started to slow and I'm away for the weekend. Will this have any effect when I come to carbonation. Will I still get some fizz if the primary has stopped completely?

dryness can be achieved by using a higher alcohol yeast as it will eat up all available sugars etc :)

I normally use ec-1118 champagne yeast as it powers through sugar and has a nice after taste :)

I'd be inclined to rack it before going away if there's significant sediment, but totally not needed and dutto covered everything. The yeast will have a snooze if they've no sugar to suck, but will still be there when you get to bottling.

Back