Tea urn tap - not buffalo or cygnet

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulCa

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm done with the plastic tap on my kettle and have decided to fit a ball valve tap. I'm also going to create a plastic sparging bucket with a ball valve tap, if order 2 makes sense. Looking for basic tips.

The current through hole / bulkhead for the tap measures at 15.5mm so a 15mm fitting with a 0.5mm thread? Anyway, unless I try and ream/drill the hole out, it's not larger than 15.5mm. That's not a standard size, around 0.6". 2/3"?

I imagine the solution will be an expensive homebrew supplier kit with exactly what I need or a fiddly bit of shopping and matching components for cheap.

The boiler is very similar to the Cygnets and buffalos but the tap has no flats and may be a smaller diameter.

I considered a grain filter mesh, but I'm mashing and sparging in a bag, so pre-filtered. The mesh wouldn't catch much kettle trub would it?

I did eventually purchase the above kit. It works.

Enlarging a hole in thin stainless steal with a cheap step bit is not easy, the bit tends to catch and peel and jam. You might be better off tolerating the noise that a round file would make enlarging it.

PTFE Tape is essential. Asides for that it works fine.

Back