Temperature and carbonation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

An interesting one for you, I’ve noticed since temperatures have dropped that my recent beers seem less carbonated (despite me using heat pads during fermentation to maintain the correct temp). This is the same for beers brewed before temperatures dropped but which I’ve put in the fridge, so not a recent change to my brewing.

Specifically the first half of the bottle seems almost flat, whilst the second gets a good solid head. My only theory is that the CO2 is somehow sinking in the beer.

Is this something others have experienced, if so how have you approached it? I’m going to try and raise the fridge temperature to see if that helps at all.

D

Gasses dissolve more the colder the liquid is.

So the colder the beer is (ie, in cold weather or if you've put it in the fridge) the better the CO2 will dissolve in it. This also means that the CO2 will come out of solution (bubbles/fizz).

Probably, the second half of your bottles will have warmed up whilst you drank the first half, and be fizzier as a result

Back