Temperature Controllers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale

Reaction score
I have a STC 1000 which cost about a tenner and its wired into a box (well an old ice cream tub actually) and I've only used it on one brew, but reallly really like the fact I can leave it and know temperature control is keeping it in the optimum range wiyh my brew blt. Just got a free larder fridge to turn into a fermenting fridge for year round temperature control.

If I was buying one now I would jst get the inkbird which is ready made at about £30.

I've just seen this which randomly appeared in a google ads advert. I guess its the top of end of what you can get.

http://www.omega.co.uk/googlebase/product.html?pn=CN7833&gclid=CIDanq6xptECFUm3GwodZOAB7g

If money is no object....

I guess its the top of end of what you can get.
If money is no object....

Hmm. Possibly so - but I'd be concerned that it looks worryingly similar to this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262460032767?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Which item just arrived from China, including 40A relay & probe, for a tenner including shipping!
Not for my beer, though - I intend to use it for temperature control of Mrs Hoppylands orchids! No idea yet if it's any good, mind.

A PID is really overkill for controlling a fermentation fridge. Its great for HERMS or RIMS but an STC is perfectly fine for a fridge.

I have two Inkbird ITC-308s for my serving fridge and my fermenting fridge.

Takes both fridge and heater input, and is very programmable (IE .1 degree changeable and timers for the compressors etc to not burn them out).

Been using mine now for ages and could not be without them.

STC1000 will do the job, but you will have to wire etc. The 308 is plug and play. And the thermometer it comes with it waterproof.

coincidentally, this has just been posted:

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=67823

Now this really does look like the dogs danglers!! Especially being programmable & open-source :)

You win for top of the range. Omega who make the one I posted are well known as a quality watch and precision instrument manufacturer and if its got their name on it you can be pretty sure its good quality. The Chinese one on Ebay may well be designed to copy the Omega one.

The Chinese one on Ebay may well be designed to copy the Omega one.
Yep, I wondered if it might be a pretty straight copy!
But, if it works (and whilst it continues to work) then I'm fine with it. After all, if it falls over then it won't cost a lot to replace - in the mean time its hugely cost effective.

imho currently the top contender for best brew troller option is linked to here http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=67823

while 10x the cost of an stc1000 for a box the same size its 100x the controller, having a complete brewday controller s/w version (pid for hlt pump n rims/herms and boil control etc) OR a coldside s/w version both with wifi and online logging smartphone control etc.. And based on an open source platform (arduino ide) so you can if wanted reprogram ad infinitum,
Staggering h/w connection possibilities too..
yup im in the crowd funding wanting my lil box of tricks to arrive ;)

Im on my phone so cant post the link but just saw a new post from yesterday on here saying this crowd funding pid has failed to get the funding and is about to close. I'll post the link later

I was just having a look at the difference between the STC 1000 and ITC 1000. Am I right in thinking STC is centigrade and ITC is fahrenheit?

The two ITC 1000s that I've just set up are in Centigrade. I think they do both but haven't checked.

I've looked in more detail and there are a few differences, STC 1000 is Centigrade only but ITC does both. STC you set a temperature and max dfference, ITC top and bottom of range. So say you wanted between 20° and 21°, on the ITC you put those values but on a STC you put 20.5° with a + or - 0.5° variation. I think. ITC also has alarms which the STC doesnt. It looks to me like the ITC is the better of the 2. Just had a quick look and the cheapest ITC1000 is £13ish and STC 100 £7ish

If you can calibrate your STC1000 then you should do so as they're not exactly accurate. I've just checked mine against a thermocouple that was professionally calibrated to UKAS standards less than a week ago and the STC1000 was reading 1.5C high at 18C. Option F4 on the settings menu allows you to dial in a fixed offset for calibration.

Back