The Barge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the beaches they are landing on are not tourist beaches easy barbed wire (said with toungue in cheek) like i said earlier this government have no intention of stopping them, who are they building all these houses for, stop being deluded and look at they bigger picture, and before anybody accuses me of anything, genuine people are welcome those who come with no identity for background checks go back

If the beaches they are landing on are not tourist beaches easy barbed wire (said with toungue in cheek) like i said earlier this government have no intention of stopping them, who are they building all these houses for, stop being deluded and look at they bigger picture, and before anybody accuses me of anything, genuine people are welcome those who come with no identity for background checks go back
What's your theory whats happening

We have chosen not to have a process for remote application, because apparently having thousands of people risking their lives on boats and keeping them in processing centres at our expense is preferable. Absolutely safer to dissuade immigration seekers for not going on boats.
How can this be achived? setup remote asylum application. - Then what if they are rejected?? - I suspected its back to the people traffickers and a boat.
A single change isn't going to fix the trafficking, remote asylum application and perhaps turning boats back and an agreement with the EU would be the minimum it would seem.

Is it incompetance or tardyness or down to money, because if its money their accountancy skills are lacking.

Was there just too much legislation to change due to brexit or what?

If they are rejected, but then decide to jump on a boat then they are entering illegally and we have legal basis to deport them.

I don't think anyone would disagree with that but it's not those that are the problem its the boat people who cannot come here legally that are the problem those that cannot get here using your method are still going to come by small boat.

As it says below 45,000 made it here by boat in 2022 and we don't know how many drowned trying, it's these people we need to stop.

According to the latest data from the Home Office, 45,755 people reached the UK in 2022 after crossing the English Channel in small boats. In the first half of 2023 (January to June), the number of small boat arrivals was down 10% (at 11,434) compared to the same period in 2022.

They come by boat because there isn't any other legal route. That's a decision that's been made at governmental level.

"Start working ".....doing what exactly? There's plenty of people here who aren't asylum seekers that need to "start working".
People who "can't,won't or don't "...people who don't get up til 10 or 11 then have some day time tv to watch before doing ball all.

We're at near full employment. Yes, there are too many that game the system, but there will always be that percentage. Too difficult to tighten things up without making genuine claimants' lives a misery. Overall, we have a decent balance. Our workforce is still woefully short to support our ever-growing elderly population. It's not a popular opinion, but we need more migrant labour. Hospitality, healthcare and agriculture are in bits post-Brexit as we cut off a massive labour market without thinking through the consequences.

The government are building houses?! That's news to me. Last time I looked, every government since about 2005 missed their own house-building targets.

I don't spend my time looking at house building targets, i just go off what i see and were i live there has been 3 new estates 4 apartment blocks all within 3 miles

I don't spend my time looking at house building targets, i just go off what i see and were i live there has been 3 new estates 4 apartment blocks all within 3 miles

I don't doubt that. We have nowhere near enough housing stock in the UK. It's not the government building though.

I really don't follow.

I can give you a few reasons; xenophobia, nimbyism, misplaced anger at ***** public service provision.
GEB posted a video recently on the issues facing the brewing industry and includes how these guys taking up all the hotel spaces are having a big affect on Irish craft beer. There are lots of valid reasons why this madness needs to stop.

GEB posted a video recently on the issues facing the brewing industry and includes how these guys taking up all the hotel spaces are having a big affect on Irish craft beer. There are lots of valid reasons why this madness needs to stop.
Tourism up around north Donegal has been hit massively with a serious lack of hotel rooms as the majority of hotels have gone to house Ukrainian refugees (not the same as illegal immigrants)
There were cases of apartment blocks and a unused hotel being made ready to house mainly young adult males that went on fire shortly before they arrived. No one is sure how that happened but the impact of the refugees in a small town would have had a huge impact on the locals. Crime rates in the area I live in has risen since the hotels have filled with refugees. Who knows if it’s related

It's like I said in my original post that the main hotel in my town has been converted to house them. The owner is doing very well out of it but it is a massive hit to the rest of the town as 1000s of visitors aren't coming and spending money each year. It's been a temporary arrangement for 2 years now 😂

Going way back to the original post, I suppose in a nutshell, if the immigrants are not happy with what we are providing then they should go back to the safe country they came here from.
The result of that would be that the UK would receive absolutely no asylum seekers whatsoever.

You realise you can only claim asylum in the UK on you are on British soil.

The result of that would be that the UK would receive absolutely no asylum seekers whatsoever

What safe and legal routes does the UK offer?​

The UK offers the following safe and legal routes:

UK Resettlement Scheme​

The global resettlement scheme is open to vulnerable refugees around the world. Individuals coming through this scheme are assessed and referred by the UNHCR according to their criteria, which is based on people’s needs and vulnerabilities.

People coming via this route only move to the UK once suitable accommodation is in place for them. Since its launch in 2021, the UK has taken refugees through this route from countries including Ethiopia, Iraq, Sudan, Syria, Afghanistan, Eritrea, Somalia, South Sudan, and Yemen.

Since the first arrivals under the new UK Resettlement scheme in March 2021, 2,023 refugees have been resettled in the UK via the UKRS, as of December 2022.

Community Sponsorship​

Community Sponsorship enables civil society - friends and neighbours, charities and faith groups - to directly support refugees resettled in the UK as they start their new lives in safety.

Since the scheme began in 2016, a total of 942 refugees have been resettled through Community Sponsorship, including 15 since the start of the ACRS, according to the latest published data (year ending December 2022).

Mandate Scheme​

The Mandate Scheme, launched in 1995, is a global scheme that resettles refugees who have a close family member in the UK who is willing to accommodate them.

The publication of the data relating to the Mandate Resettlement scheme commenced in 2008. Since then, as of December 2022, 441 individuals have been resettled through this scheme.

Family Reunion​

Our refugee family reunion policy provides a safe and legal route for families to be reunited. This allows immediate family members (partner and children under 18, and over 18 in exceptional circumstances) of those granted protection in the UK to join them here, if they formed part of a family unit before the sponsor left their country to seek protection.

There are separate provisions in the Immigration Rules to allow extended family members to sponsor children to come here where there are serious and compelling circumstances. In addition, refugees can sponsor adult dependent relatives living overseas to join them where, due to age, illness, or disability, that person requires long-term personal care that can only be provided by relatives in the UK.

There is also discretion to grant leave outside of the Immigration Rules which caters for extended family members in exceptional circumstances.

Our family reunion policy has reunited many refugees with their family members; more than 44,600 family reunion visas have been granted since 2015, with over half issued to children.

Afghan Citizens Resettlement Scheme​

In January 2022, we announced the Afghan Citizens Resettlement Scheme (ACRS), one of the most generous schemes in UK history. This response to the situation in Afghanistan will give up to 20,000 people at risk a new life in the UK, through a safe and legal route.

The ACRS prioritises those who have assisted the UK efforts in Afghanistan and stood up for values such as democracy, women’s rights and freedom of speech, or rule of law (for example, judges, women’s rights activists, academics, and journalists); and vulnerable people, including women and girls at risk, and members of minority groups at risk.

More than 7,600 eligible people have already been granted settled status through the Afghan Citizens Resettlement Scheme (ACRS).

Afghan Relocations and Assistance Policy (ARAP)​

The Afghan Relocations and Assistance Policy (ARAP), launched on 1 April 2021, offers relocation to eligible Afghan citizens who worked for, or with, the UK Government locally in Afghanistan.  The ARAP recognises the service of eligible Afghan citizens and the risks arising to them and their dependent family members due to their work.

Since April 2021, we have relocated more than 12,000 Afghans to the UK under the ARAP scheme.

As of December 2022, we have granted settlement to 6,235 individuals since April 2021, in addition to 1,400 former staff and families who were relocated between 2013 and March 2021 under the previous ex-gratia scheme for Afghan interpreters.

Hong Kong British Nationals (Overseas)​

On 31 January 2021, the UK Government launched the Hong Kong BN(O) Immigration route in response to China’s passing of the National Security Law which significantly impacts the rights and freedoms of the people of Hong Kong.

Over 153,700 BN(O) Hong Kong visas have been granted as of the end of December 2022, of which 105,200 have arrived in the UK.

On 30 November 2022, the BN(O) route was expanded to enable adult children of BN(O) status holders who were born on or after 1 July 1997 to apply to the route independently of their parents. This will ensure this cohort who were not eligible for BN(O) status and who may not have been able to apply to the route previously, can now choose to make the UK their home.

The BN(O) route is not a refugee resettlement route, but is a safe and legal route to the UK for those eligible.

Ukraine schemes​

In response to Putin’s barbaric invasion of Ukraine, we launched one of the fastest visa schemes in UK history. The UK government has devised three bespoke visa routes for the people of Ukraine, working in close communication with the Ukrainian Government.

167,600 Ukrainians have now arrived safely in the UK through our Ukraine visa schemes.

As of 21 March 2023, the UK Government has issued 223,000 visas under the Ukraine Schemes, of which 156,000 visas have been issued under the Homes for Ukraine Scheme. We have also extended permission to stay to 24,300 Ukrainians who were already present in the UK.

What safe and legal routes does the UK offer?​

The UK offers the following safe and legal routes:

UK Resettlement Scheme​

The global resettlement scheme is open to vulnerable refugees around the world. Individuals coming through this scheme are assessed and referred by the UNHCR according to their criteria, which is based on people’s needs and vulnerabilities.

People coming via this route only move to the UK once suitable accommodation is in place for them. Since its launch in 2021, the UK has taken refugees through this route from countries including Ethiopia, Iraq, Sudan, Syria, Afghanistan, Eritrea, Somalia, South Sudan, and Yemen.

Since the first arrivals under the new UK Resettlement scheme in March 2021, 2,023 refugees have been resettled in the UK via the UKRS, as of December 2022.

Community Sponsorship​

Community Sponsorship enables civil society - friends and neighbours, charities and faith groups - to directly support refugees resettled in the UK as they start their new lives in safety.

Since the scheme began in 2016, a total of 942 refugees have been resettled through Community Sponsorship, including 15 since the start of the ACRS, according to the latest published data (year ending December 2022).

Mandate Scheme​

The Mandate Scheme, launched in 1995, is a global scheme that resettles refugees who have a close family member in the UK who is willing to accommodate them.

The publication of the data relating to the Mandate Resettlement scheme commenced in 2008. Since then, as of December 2022, 441 individuals have been resettled through this scheme.

Family Reunion​

Our refugee family reunion policy provides a safe and legal route for families to be reunited. This allows immediate family members (partner and children under 18, and over 18 in exceptional circumstances) of those granted protection in the UK to join them here, if they formed part of a family unit before the sponsor left their country to seek protection.

There are separate provisions in the Immigration Rules to allow extended family members to sponsor children to come here where there are serious and compelling circumstances. In addition, refugees can sponsor adult dependent relatives living overseas to join them where, due to age, illness, or disability, that person requires long-term personal care that can only be provided by relatives in the UK.

There is also discretion to grant leave outside of the Immigration Rules which caters for extended family members in exceptional circumstances.

Our family reunion policy has reunited many refugees with their family members; more than 44,600 family reunion visas have been granted since 2015, with over half issued to children.

Afghan Citizens Resettlement Scheme​

In January 2022, we announced the Afghan Citizens Resettlement Scheme (ACRS), one of the most generous schemes in UK history. This response to the situation in Afghanistan will give up to 20,000 people at risk a new life in the UK, through a safe and legal route.

The ACRS prioritises those who have assisted the UK efforts in Afghanistan and stood up for values such as democracy, women’s rights and freedom of speech, or rule of law (for example, judges, women’s rights

7 reasons people risk their lives to cross the Channel

In November 2021, 27 people, including three children and a pregnant woman, tragically drowned in the English Channel. Others are still missing. This is still the highest number of deaths on record in one attempted crossing.

The growing number of people risking their lives to cross one of the world's busiest shipping lanes in small dinghies is a clear sign of desperation. It not only demonstrates the increasingly dangerous decisions people are making in search of safety, but also the need for safe and legal routes into the country.

We shed some light on why people make such dangerous journeys, and what happens afterwards.

Why do people risk the channel crossing when it's so dangerous?

1. People are fleeing even more dangerous situations.
Many have left their homes to flee war and persecution or are escaping famine and poverty. Most people have endured intense hardship to make it this far. For example, those who travel through Libya risk abuse, sexual violence and exploitation along their journeys. If people manage to reach the shores of the UK, they are already extremely vulnerable.

2. There is no safe way to apply for asylum from outside of the UK. And avenues for refugees coming to the UK are very limited. The current schemes are circumstance or location specific. This is why organisations like IRC keep calling for more safe and legal routes.

But why the UK? Why not stay in France which is a 'safe' country?
There are several reasons people might make the Channel crossing to reach the UK specifically.

3. They are reuniting with family already living in the UK.

4. If English is their second language, they want to reach an English-speaking country.

5. They have colonial ties with the UK.

6. The conditions in France, or elsewhere, have proved to be unsafe. People may have been exposed to abuse, exploitation and dangerous living situations in other European countries.

7. They may have been unable to apply for asylum in another country, or have been rejected. In a situation where returning home means death—people have no choice but to look for safety elsewhere.

What happens to people crossing the channel when they arrive in the UK?
It is important to remember that it is not illegal to seek asylum in the UK. The 1951 Refugee Convention, of which the UK is a signatory, stipulates that people can seek asylum in any country they choose.

Once people arrive in the UK, they’ll go through a rigorous process during which their asylum cases are assessed before being allowed to remain.

Our Claiming asylum in the UK explainer goes into more detail about the current laws and processes for people claiming asylum

The numbers of people seeking safety are entirely manageable for a rich and stable continent like Europe. All countries must live up to their global responsibilities to protect refugees and uphold the right to asylum.

What is clear is that the absence of safe and legal routes for seeking asylum in the UK, is an incentive to people smugglers, and human traffickers, pushing people to take greater risks.

More than 40,000 people have made the crossing to the UK so far this year. In 2021, the total was 28,526.

Can the UK manage the numbers of new arrivals?
The numbers of asylum seekers in the UK are manageable. We must not buy into the false narratives that the UK is under threat from an ‘invasion’ of people

It is important to have a sense of perspective. Though a record number of people have made the crossing from France to the UK this year - showing the need for safe routes - the number of refugees and asylum seekers in the country is relatively small, considering that 85% of the world’s refugees are living in countries neighbouring their country of origin.

What needs to be done?
There are a number of simple measures that the UK can adopt to help alleviate this situation and prevent more deaths. People seeking safety should not be forced to make life-threatening journeys in order to seek asylum, which is why safe and legal routes must be expanded.

Our article examining the new Nationality and Borders Act looks into several ways existing safe routes could be reformed or work more effectively.

The Government should also invest in the asylum system so that all claims are heard quickly and fairly. Although the Home Office claims a decision will usually be made within six months,Freedom of Information requests found that, on average, it takes one to three years to get an initial decision on an asylum case. Some cases take longer than five years.

The IRC is calling for an urgent change in approach. Politicians must stop turning human tragedy into political point-scoring. It’s time to move away from the model of deterrence, which has already caused untold human misery, and towards cooperation between European countries that place the protection of refugees at the centre of any response.

2. There is no safe way to apply for asylum from outside of the UK. And avenues for refugees coming to the UK are very limited. The current schemes are circumstance or location specific. This is why organisations like IRC keep calling for more safe and legal routes.

My last post answers this to say there are no safe ways to apply is simply not true..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back