The Christmas Beast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Dyer

Reaction score
I got in in good time this year with my Christmas brew, based on a recipe from D & K 'Home Brew Beer'.

Recipe as follows:
Malt:
Pale Malt : 2700g
Amber Malt : 300g (including mopping up 25g of old Biscuit malt)
Cara Malt : 210g (ditto Cara Munich 1)
Light Crystal Malt : 180g
Torrefied Wheat : 60g
Carafa Special: 60g

Hops:
Challenger : 11g : Start of boil
Styrian Goldings : 15g : 15 mins
Styrian Goldings : 15g : Flame out

Also:
Star Anise : 5g : 10 mions
Cinnamon : 1 stick : 10 mins
Ground nutmeg : 0.5 tsp : 10 miins
Light Candi sugar : 260g : 5 mins

Yeast :
Fermentis S-33 : 6g#

OG: 1056, target SG: 1010 and ABV 6%

Just a 10 litre batch

I tried this 3 years ago and it was pretty good. I've done many more brews since then and have high hopes that my technique has improved, and if not, my luck!

Interestingly, for the 1st time I remembered to whirlpool the boiler contents before emptying into the FV and the result was the clearest wort I've ever taken from the boiler.
Of course I snuck a tase/te and it was OK - needs to mature which is why it gets 3 months plus to sort itself out.

She's bubbling away bootifully!

I got in in good time this year with my Christmas brew, based on a recipe from D & K 'Home Brew Beer'.

Recipe as follows:
Malt:
Pale Malt : 2700g
Amber Malt : 300g (including mopping up 25g of old Biscuit malt)
Cara Malt : 210g (ditto Cara Munich 1)
Light Crystal Malt : 180g
Torrefied Wheat : 60g
Carafa Special: 60g

Hops:
Challenger : 11g : Start of boil
Styrian Goldings : 15g : 15 mins
Styrian Goldings : 15g : Flame out

Also:
Star Anise : 5g : 10 mions
Cinnamon : 1 stick : 10 mins
Ground nutmeg : 0.5 tsp : 10 miins
Light Candi sugar : 260g : 5 mins

Yeast :
Fermentis S-33 : 6g#

OG: 1056, target SG: 1010 and ABV 6%

Just a 10 litre batch

I tried this 3 years ago and it was pretty good. I've done many more brews since then and have high hopes that my technique has improved, and if not, my luck!

Interestingly, for the 1st time I remembered to whirlpool the boiler contents before emptying into the FV and the result was the clearest wort I've ever taken from the boiler.
Of course I snuck a tase/te and it was OK - needs to mature which is why it gets 3 months plus to sort itself out.

She's bubbling away bootifully!
Interestingly, the fermentation was over in 48 hours (or less). The S-33 took it from 1056 to 1008 in that time. I know that last time I did this it was done in about 3-4 days so I suppose I shouldn't be srprised but I am a little. Still I'll let it rest for a few days before bottling. Fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back