The comparison site scam.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It makes sense to use a comparison site when your car insurance is due for renewal doesn't it? Or does it?
I'm a pensioner driving a six year old car valued at about £4,500 which has a weedy little engine. I do about 4000 miles a year - if that. I've got decades of no claims bonus and my car is not left in the road overnight. So you might think that my insurance renewal quotes would be reasonable - especially if using several comparison sites - which I did . Not so. When I trawled around for quotes after receiving the renewal notice from my current insurer I was shocked. The prices I was quoted were astronomical compared to my renewal notice. Some were asking over £1000!! So I stayed with my current insurer at the renewal price of £285 - only a £10 increase on the previous year. Be warned - these comparison sites are not all they're cracked up to be.

I have a very low opinion of insurance companies! Partucularly car insurance.
The comparison websites were certainly a good thing for a while, but the profit motive tends to seek out the areas where new profit can potentially be made, and move in on it.
Example, Ebay used to fairly cheap as a source of goods, now you often find it's more expensive than elsewhere. Markets shift I guess.

When looking at comparison sites for a 'new' vehicle over a year ago, I went for the cheapest I found, naturally. When the renewal quote arrived a year down the line, it was almost half of the first year's premium! Still trying to work that out and wondering if they made a mistake, but I didn't say owt...

My renewal before last was the only time I couldn't find a quote that was cheaper than my renewal and my last was the 1st time fully comp was cheaper than 3rd party (loads of people over the years told me it was some times but never believed then until then). 20 years ago I would spend hours phonng every add in yellow pages but after a few years nearly all the numbers went to the same few companies anyway.

Did you use enter the correct details. I have always find comparison sites really competitive. Nothing beats speaking to people in the phone though. I often find the cheapest on the comparison sites, look at those that are missed and then go via quidco for the cashback

I have been with the same company for a couple of years they send me my renewal I look at the comparison sites then phone back with the lowest quote and they match it.

Latest posts

Back