The difference between corks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theoccupier

Reaction score
Quick question. I was wondering about the differences between corks and the advantages/disadvantages of each? waxed/soak first/plastic

Going to the hbs tomorrow with the intention of buying a lever corker and waxed corks. Are there any disadvantages to these?

I don't have a LHBS so I'm taking advantage while i'm in Ripon tomorrow (60 mile round trip so making the most of it & stocking up).

Any advice appreciated (preferably before I go ;) )

Cheers

I always use wax corks and 2 handle leaver corker they work fine for me i tried the soak ones they were ok aswell just a little more time consuming

Same here, 2 handle lever corker and waxed corks. I still give them a quick dunk in a mild sulphite solution.

When corking, also have ready a piece of wooden dowel (or something similar) and a hammer or mallet, because some corks will go a little bit too far into the bottles but others might require a bit more gentle persuasion.

Buy the best corks you can, with a good, firm structure. In my opinion the Young's ones sold in Wilkinson's are utter rubbish.

Those are the good ones :thumb:
From your HBS they should be around 5-7p each, I pay 70p a dozen.
The **** ones are riddled with holes and have nothing printed on them.

£2.45 for 30 so that's 8p each but I guess you take what you can get. If I get them anywhere else there's postage to add.

I saw the others in Wilkinsons but they didn't look good. Looked a bit "crumbly" like they would fall apart a bit too easily.

Any opinions on plastic ones? I have about 15 of them (donated) but wasn't convinced.

Theoccupier said:
Any opinions on plastic ones? I have about 15 of them (donated) but wasn't convinced.
Is that plastic corks or plastic stoppers?

I use some stoppers, they fit ok in some screw-necked bottles but can be rather tight in previously corked bottles. A rubber camping mallet usually does the job though. They are fine if you want to store your bottles standing up.

If they are composite plastic corks, I've never tried any, not because I'm any sort of purist but only because I haven't found anywhere that sells them.

To be honest, if I'm making country wines from 30p a bottle or juice wines at around 45p a bottle, I rather begrudge having to pay 7p for a cork, so if anyone could tell me where I can get big bags of corks (good quality real or composite) for sensible prices I would be obliged.

plastic stoppers, not corks. I guess they'll do for the stuff that gets drunk quickly then. Or as a standby in case I run out of corks.

Theoccupier said:
Quick question. I was wondering about the differences between corks and the advantages/disadvantages of each? waxed/soak first/plastic

Going to the hbs tomorrow with the intention of buying a lever corker and waxed corks. Are there any disadvantages to these?

I don't have a LHBS so I'm taking advantage while i'm in Ripon tomorrow (60 mile round trip so making the most of it & stocking up).

Any advice appreciated (preferably before I go ;) )

Cheers

Are you saying that there is a hbs in Ripon ???
If so where abouts ????

It's not a HBS in the usual sense of the word but it does have some stock. It's a corner at the back of Drinkswell about 2 doors to the right of the town hall. They have a website that has everything on it that they do.

Don't hold your breath, it's nothing fantastic but they at least have more stock than good old Wilkinsons.

Yes it is. I phoned them up the other day to check their opening hours ....... 4 days a week and they close at the same time as I finish work. It's literally 5 minutes from work (45 mins from home so not really that local) but there's no point going if it's closed.

I might try a long lunch break one day and see if they're any good. See how much I can carry home one the motorbike :lol:

ahhhh so I guess you can recommend it then? There is also one in Featherstone which is not too far away but neither are "handy". I guess it seems weird that Ripon would be handier but my OH commutes to Ripon and I sometimes drop him off and leave him there :D

Will give Abbey a shot when I get the opportunity.

Theoccupier said:
ahhhh so I guess you can recommend it then? There is also one in Featherstone which is not too far away but neither are "handy". I guess it seems weird that Ripon would be handier but my OH commutes to Ripon and I sometimes drop him off and leave him there :D

Will give Abbey a shot when I get the opportunity.
Abbey Homebrew was very helpful when there was no internet and all that was available was books or HBS.
He also always had a really good selection of kit and ingredients :thumb:

Theoccupier said:
It's not a HBS in the usual sense of the word but it does have some stock. It's a corner at the back of Drinkswell about 2 doors to the right of the town hall. They have a website that has everything on it that they do.

Don't hold your breath, it's nothing fantastic but they at least have more stock than good old Wilkinsons.

I only live about 5 minutes down the road but have been travelling to Abbey Home Brew / Hop & Grape & Things to Brew at Brighouse & Millfield Homebrew in York!!!
Whats the website address for the place in Ripon ???

Back