The downfall of the Tory party.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
, you walk in any a&e half the feckers don't even need to be there and weekends at night you could write a book called self inflicted wastage of valuable time, this country needs over hauling from top to bottom

Would you class someone having a few too many home brews falling and needing to go to hospital "self inflicted wastage of valuable time" do you class smokers, alcoholics and obese people who have paid their NA all their lives and at some point may need hospital treatment a "self inflicted wastage of valuable time" its easy for us who have rarely needed to go to hospital to judge but we should be careful when doing so as it could be any one of us next.

I like many here are overweight and drink too much i no longer smoke but did heavily until a few years ago, i think this old saying sums it up "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

Last edited:
There is help out there for anybody who wants it all they have to do is ask
do you class smokers, alcoholics and obese people who have paid their NA all their lives and at some point may need hospital treatment a "self inflicted wastage of valuable time" its easy for us who have rarely needed to go to hospital to judge but we should be
no i don't, i blame the way these things are marketed maybe not cigs anymore but booze and fast food there is no escape, these companys should be made to pay the nhs for the damage they are causing. ok you can argue no one forces you but the evidence is there for all to see. and i do't live in a glass house or throw stones niether do i take my cloths of to have a good time

There is help out there for anybody who wants it all they have to do is ask

A lot of people have serious issues but dont realise they need help for a lot of people comfort eating is the way they cope with life's struggles and its the same with alcohol, speaking for myself i seem to prefer food that isn't good for my waistline, i know i drink too much according to governments figures of 14 units week but it doesn't stop me from living a normal life i enjoy my food and drink and if one day in the future i need hospital treatment because one or the other causes an issue so be it, i would rather enjoy the rest of my days living my unhealthy lifestyle than stop eating meat and drinking less than 14 units a week only to find out further down the line i have Dementia or Parkinson's or something else that finishes me off, when you get to my age the best thing to do is live every day as if its your last as you never know it just might be ;)

The Chief Medical Officers' guidelines for both men and women are: To keep health risks from alcohol to a low level it's safest not to drink more than 14 units a week on a regular basis. If you regularly drink as much as 14 units per week, it's best to spread your drinking over three or more days.

Last edited:
varicose vein stripping

Steady on big lad. No one needs surgery for veins these days, unless they’ve seen the local expert in vascular surgery who only knows how to do operations!

DOI-former vascular surgeon, now full time phlebologist. And that doesn’t mean I put on a nice top and take blood from patients😂

Steady on big lad. No one needs surgery for veins these days, unless they’ve seen the local expert in vascular surgery who only knows how to do operations!

DOI-former vascular surgeon, now full time phlebologist. And that doesn’t mean I put on a nice top and take blood from patients😂

I'm sure you'd look great in a red uniform, better than those bleddy budgie smugglers anyway.

Back on point, they still do it down the local pvt hospital? Not here in the DGH though?

I’ve posted the figures for health care funding before, and they’re grim.
Post in thread 'Kiers big day doesn't get off to a great start -'
Kiers big day doesn't get off to a great start -

Keyhole varicose vein procedures are available in NI, but not surgery. They are supposed to be reserved for people with skin changes. I audited the waiting list last year. 25% of long waiters didn’t meet commissioning criteria, and they all were booked by the “experts” in the regional unit.

Last edited:
A few points to come back on:
It would appear those that know her are saying she is hoping to get the sack so she can

So what is the answer?
Best covered at the end of the post.

From the Health Foundation:

"In 2019, the UK spent £3,055 per person, 18% below the EU14 average. Over the decade, only four countries in the EU14 spent less per head of population: Greece, Portugal, Spain and Italy. Finland had very similar spending per head to the UK."

Article is here:
https://www.health.org.uk/news-and-...ext=In 2019, the UK spent,per head to the UK.
If you want to focus on % of gdp, then according to ONS:

• As a percentage of GDP, UK healthcare spending fell from 9.8% in 2013 to 9.6% in 2017, while healthcare spending as a percentage of GDP rose for four of the remaining six G7 countries.
As for 'the country simply cannot afford it', that is a political choice. Apparently we can afford to remove the cap on bankers bonuses, for example.
The cap on bankers bonuses didn't raise any money for the exchequer, and as such didn't cost anything to scrap. Probably the opposite was true (as higher bonuses mean higher taxes are paid). So not a relevant example here. But see below re tax, which i suspect is the spirit of your point.

I’ve posted the figures for health care funding before, and they’re grim.
Post in thread 'Kiers big day doesn't get off to a great start -'
Kiers big day doesn't get off to a great start -

Keyhole varicose vein procedures are available in NI, but not surgery. They are supposed to be reserved for people with skin changes. I audited the waiting list last year. 25% of long waiters didn’t meet commissioning criteria, and they all were booked by the “experts” in the regional unit.
These two posts are interesting, as it seems whilst I have stats suggesting our health expenditure is not that bad, it seems others have stats suggesting we could indeed spend more. One of the dilemma's of the internet and the infinite amount of data (much of it fake) that is available. I do hope mine isn't fake, as the source seemed OK.

But i think it is undisputed that tax as a proportion of GDP is at a post war high, so raising tax is unlikely to be the answer. And Laffer curve theory suggests that raising tax rates from here would actually decrease the tax take, due to the economic impact of high taxes. This is why very high tax economies usually don't work. The best way to increase money available to the NHS would be to grow the economy.
https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/140859/economics/the-laffer-curve/
Furthermore, for those who advocate that increased spending is both the answer and feasible, could I ask what expenditure we would actually reduce as part of the political choice ? benefits ? defence ? foreign aid ? Certainly not destroying the economy with lockdowns would have helped, but that's done now. The impact of those lockdowns was way larger than the 2008 financial crisis (look at the volume of money printing, for example) and the country is in a dire financial position as a result.

And this takes me to Chippy's question as to what the answer might be. I replied to this part of the thread with an economic argument, not a health one, and others will likely know more than me on delivery of health services, but I will have a go at answering. Many argue that more competent NHS leadership and structural reforms would deliver much better outcomes for the same money. Even Wes Streeting is hinting at this, rather than increased expenditure as a way forward. I am sympathetic to this, as I think we need to move away from the obsession that the NHS being 100% publicly funded, and that this makes the NHS the envy of the world. It's almost cult like at times. I think we should look at countries that deliver the best health outcomes per unit of expenditure, and see what aspects of their structures we should copy. When lives are in danger the NHS does a phenominal job, and it i agree with this part being publicly funded. But other parts of the NHS perform much less well (eg non urgent surgery) and it is here I would look at reform.

Suella gone looks like Rishi found his spine.
I wonder what's changed in the last 36 hours since he said he had "full confidence" in her 🤷‍♂️

About time. Unfortunately she'll be back. Rishi will lose the general election, which is traditionally the point where party leaders resign. Cruella will get voted in by the right wing nutjobs.

Cameron threw his car keys in.

Lord Cameron said he wanted to be "part of the strongest possible team that serves the United Kingdom" ahead of the general election.
"Though I may have disagreed with some individual decisions, it is clear to me that Rishi Sunak is a strong and capable prime minister, who is showing exemplary leadership at a difficult time," he said

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67401753

Jon Sopel

In all excitement of today’s #reshuffle mustn’t lose sight of Suella’s greatest hits

*tofu eating wokerati
*dreaming of flights to Rwanda
*immigrant invasion
*homelessness a lifestyle choice
*hate marches
*police favoritism
*multicultaralism’s failure
What have I missed out?

Repeatedly breaking the ministerial code and having zero competence. Poor ol' leaky Sue couldn't even leak confidential documents competently.

Latest posts

Back