The downfall of the Tory party.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m English and live in Scotland, and aren’t a fan of the SNP, but you have to give Nicola Sturgeon her due. She’s a good orator, and doesn’t waffle or ******** people. She’ll answer the question without going into “blinking is thinking mode” and then finding a thread to talk about what they’ve been briefed upon.

The SNP have always said that they wouldn’t form an alliance with Labour, and like it or not they prevent labour from forming a government because they mop up most of the seats in Scotland. There are 45 Scottish MPs in Westminster from the 2019 GE. 6 conservatives of which 2 have a majority under 1000 votes, 4 liberal and 1 labour. The rest are SNP.

My local MP is a conservative, but he’s a spineless ba$tard. I wrote to him over the Johnson parties. The reply I got said, “Please come and help me pull the splinters out of my ****”.

The DUP are a bunch of god bothers and have some very strange beliefs.

The SNP aren’t anyway comparable. In Scotland they have a policy of at least trying to lift some of the poorest of the population out of poverty. For instance they tax the first couple of thousand pounds over the 12570 threshold at 19%, then it steps to 20% and then to 21% across England s 20% tax band. Your 40% tax bracket is taxed at 41% in Scotland. This helps to fund the £25 / week extra child allowance. So as you can probably now see, that they are actually more like labour than you think.

They‘ve just upgraded all of the overhead pylon cabling across Aberdeenshire to enable it cope with the power that is coming out of the new offshore wind farms off the Northern Aberdeenshire coast.

If Scotland does get independence, then it will control or have the option to tax most of the UK’s oil and gas production and a reasonable % of the offshore wind generation. I’m aware that England has gas fields in the Irish Sea, and a large offshore wind farm near to the Humber estuary. I’ve worked in them.

Despite my local area having a conservative MP, I find that most Scot’s do actually detest the Conservatives, with a passion, and Johnson, Brexit and Truss have only enhanced that hatred. I think she just told it, as she sees it.

Well I guess we’ll just have to agree to differ regarding the SNP, but both want an end to the Conservatives.

As your man says from Dundee says, “We vote tactically to try and keep the CONservatives out”.

I might also point out that the DUP propped up the May government, which is one of the reasons why we are having the discussion ,the SNP clearly won’t.

Which is another reason I think they aren’t comparable.

Let’s not forget Scotland was an independent country in 1700 with a king who also ruled England, but because a failed attempt to form a colony in Central America made them bankrupt they asked to join the United Kingdom. Forget Braveheart it was a Scottish decision, Traitors in a Nation as Burns called them.

Well talking of bankrupts and getting back on thread. I think the recent budget could have England looking for a bail out In the near future. The Scot’s are quite canny, and I’m sure there’s a few poonds under the mattress up here.

I saw an Illustration about the £65 Billion that the Bank of England put into the market, to help it stabilise equates to £3600 for every hour that has passed since Jesus Christ was born. Now that’s an eye watering sum.

Oh no, he’s mentioned religion!

Let’s not forget Scotland was an independent country in 1700 with a king who also ruled England, but because a failed attempt to form a colony in Central America made them bankrupt they asked to join the United Kingdom. Forget Braveheart it was a Scottish decision, Traitors in a Nation as Burns called them.

I'm not really interested in the original basis of The Union. My interest in independence certainly doesn't come from some misplaced patriotism.

I'm not really interested in the original basis of The Union. My interest in independence certainly doesn't come from some misplaced patriotism.
Have the SNP put together a full plan on how independence would work. A full financial breakdown of how it can be self sustaining.

I believe there is a court decision in around 10 days time about if Indyref2 is legal. It is my understanding that a costing and sustainability paper will be published then.

Is there a date for Westminster to show it’s budget costing?

Last I heard it was 23/11/2022, but there were rumblings that it was going to be bought forward. Apparently agreed to after the 45% to 40% tax reduction was ditched. Kind of tells you that it wasn’t affordable.

I watched question time last week, and there was a young lady who asked a question about the Conservatives leaving loopholes open around IR35, about which I know nothing.

As she asked the question she explained how 45% tax bracket salary people don’t even pay tax at 20%, and questioned how the Conservatives can ever fund the NHS and services with their trickle down economics.

It took about 40 seconds to ask the question, and during that time Zahawi’s face said, “Oh f**k, she well and truly nailed my nuts to the floor”. Most of the audience and the panel were waiting for the answer, when Fiona Bruce cut her off and changed the subject.

For once there was someone in the audience that was an expert in their field, and was questioning the Conservative’s budget.

I was so looking forward to Zahawi tell us about the vaccine roll out.

By the way, I’m old enough to remember when we fasting growing economy in the G7.

Folk of all the UK nations are really only interested in better lives for themselves,Their kids and grand-kids.
Tory policy no longer addresses that factor.
A recipe for nothing but managed decline just not going to cut it long term.

Personally back in the 70s I had opportunity` on my plate that today's youngsters would not believe.
I do also know that back in those days life was not a bed of roses for everyone,But at least there was some hope of a better future for all,

Its that "hope" that has gone.!!

Found this on Twitter.

1665355333154.jpeg

An interesting slant on the UK mini budget engineered by the Tories and the Australian Labor government's tax cuts. Who does the tax cuts favour? The rich. Not bad when taking into consideration Australians are the richest people on the planet. The rich will get considerably richer and the poor not so much. Is there any difference between the parties? I think not, performance/success of either of the major parties really all depends on the economic climate at the time they are in power.

https://australiainstitute.org.au/p...tage-3-tax-cuts-massively-favour-the-wealthy/

They discussed this on 5live over the weekend, how many times do you have a vote on independence when one side doesn't get the result it wants?
The vote was before Brexit, you can't blame them for looking out. If it's the will of the majority of the people how can you stand in it's way.

Back