The downfall of the Tory party.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My god just look at how members are engaging with this thread.!!!
Remarkable,Considering the " At a glance." title.

Best of all no-one has descended into hurling personal abuse.!!!!
Debate is good.

In the Scotland they MSPs are voted for / elected on a Proportional Representational basis.

On my last ballot slip I had 6 candidates and I could vote for 4 of them. You had to order them 1 to 4 in your order of preference. I actually got to vote for 3 candidates that didn’t stand a chance of getting elected, but I did so hoping it would knock back the Conservative. As I previously said, we get to vote tactically.

By the way, the SNP don’t have a majority in the Scottish Parliament, because of PR. However, they are in power, because they are in a pact with the greens, Something I can’t ever see happening in Westminster.

As a consequence they have an accelerated programme of renewables, you can get an interest free loan for fitting Solar PV, battery back, loft insulation etc. They still have a total ban on fracking.

It’s a much more forward thinking country.

I note that Kwasi (modo) {yes he gives me the hump}, is going to put forward his budget plan / costing by the 31/10/2022. So that’s another 3 weeks of uncertainty. I wonder how many more changes of policy we’ll get before that appears.

In cases of Constitutional Reform there is a case for a Super Majority, a 65/35 to effect the change. This should reduce the unsure/mis information/illegality, and also reduce the call for another referendum
I understand the case and it should stop the danger of flip flopping between 2 alternatives athumb.. . It could in the worst case leave 64% of the voting population's wishes beholden to 36% of the people which seems a bit unfair. clearly there's no magic bullet as 51/49% is even worse. 🤔

I note that Kwasi (modo) {yes he gives me the hump}, is going to put forward his budget plan / costing by the 31/10/2022. So that’s another 3 weeks of uncertainty. I wonder how many more changes of policy we’ll get before that appears.
Probably won't stop until 30/10/2022, As it needs to be printed or distributed but whilst it doesn't take long to print a sheet of A4 out, someone in the office has to pick up the copies out and distribute them.

In cases of Constitutional Reform there is a case for a Super Majority, a 65/35 to effect the change. This should reduce the unsure/mis information/illegality, and also reduce the call for another referendum
Under the terms of the good Friday agreement it's 50+1 much the same as Brexit.

Probably won't stop until 30/10/2022, As it needs to be printed or distributed but whilst it doesn't take long to print a sheet of A4 out, someone in the office has to pick up the copies out and distribute them.
there will probably be a vote this week on disclosing the OBR forecast. There are enough tories to rebel, they know it makes sense, and better than voting down a budget as that is seen as a vote of confidence

This is what happens in Switzerland I believe, and what should have happened for the Brexit vote but I think Cameron thought he was going to win so easily he didn't bother.

until they get the result they want then the losers campaign for a vote to re-join... sounds familiar :laugh8:
There should be a law for a minimum time to revisit these sorts of referenda after all after X (i'd suggest 10+) number of years a lot of people who voted a particular way may no longer be around.
If as DD2 said earlier they cannot say its final then as you say they are going to keep asking for another vote until they get the result they want then the other side will do the same.

Kwasi Kwarteng will bring forward his plan for balancing the government's finances by almost a month to 31 October, in a bid to reassure markets.

The economic plan will set out how the chancellor will fund tax cuts and cut debt after his mini-budget plans for extra borrowing rattled investors.
An independent forecast of how the economy will perform in coming years will be published at the same time.
Mr Kwarteng had initially said he would wait for 23 November to give details.
His refusal to publish a draft report by the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) to accompany the mini-budget on 23 September also rattled markets and some MPs.
In the wake of the mini-budget, the pound slumped to a record low, government borrowing costs surged and the Bank of England was forced to step in and take emergency action after the dramatic market movements put some pension funds at risk of collapse.
The new date means Mr Kwarteng's fiscal statement will be published before the Bank of England announces its latest decision on interest rates on 3 November.
The Bank's Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) is widely expected to raise interest rates for the eighth time since last December with many economists forecasting a sharper rise than previous increases.
But Mel Stride, chairman of the Treasury Select Committee, tweeted that he hoped Mr Kwarteng's decision to release the report earlier would result in a smaller rate rise.

He tweeted: "If this lands well with markets then MPC meeting on 3rd Nov may result in smaller rise in interest rates. Critical to millions of mortgage holders."
Former Transport Secretary Grant Shapps, who supported Rishi Sunak in the Tory leadership contest, called Mr Kwarteng's decision "a belated but sensible move".
Noting that that the plan will be published on Hallowe'en, Labour deputy leader Angela Rayner tweeted: "Trick or cheat? The Tory horror show rattles on."
The OBR, the independent budget watchdog, will now publish a report alongside Mr Kwarteng's statement at the end of October. Its forecasts will give an indication of the health of the nation's finances.

There was confusion last week after government sources briefed journalists that Mr Kwarteng would bring forward his fiscal statement to October, only for the chancellor and prime minister to contradict this a day later.
Quizzed on Tuesday by GB News, the chancellor said there had been no change. "People have been reading the runes and the pauses, it's going to be the 23rd," he said.
However, Treasury sources then clarified that the chancellor would, indeed, bring the statement forward and that it had simply been waiting to officially announce the change of date in Parliament.
Since then the government has been forced into a series of embarrassing climbdowns under growing pressure from its own MPs.
Last week, Mr Kwarteng scrapped a decision to cut the top rate of income tax.

And on Monday, James Bowler was announced as the new permanent secretary to the Treasury. There had been speculation that Antonia Romeo, permanent secretary of the Ministry of Justice, would take on the role.
Ms Truss fired Sir Tom Scholar, the civil servant who previously held the job and planned to bring in a high profile outsider - a move some feared would further spook the markets.
Ms Truss still faces a potential rebellion from her MPs after declining to say whether she would increase benefits in line with inflation next April.
Her approval ratings have plummeted since the mini budget. The prime minister says her tax cuts will boost the UK economy after years of lacklustre growth.
But there are fears the government will have borrow huge sums to fund this. The cost of government borrowing consequently jumped, as investors demanded higher rates of interest on UK government bonds.
It has fed through to the mortgage market where hundreds of products were pulled due to concerns about how to price these long-term loans.
Last week, interest rates on typical two- and five-year fixed rate mortgages topped 6% for the first time in over a decade.

'Clearly nervous'​

On Monday, the Bank of England announced measures to ensure an "orderly end" to an emergency bond buying scheme it was forced to launch after Mr Kwarteng pledged additional tax cuts on top of those outlined in the mini-budget.
Susannah Streeter, senior investment and markets analyst at Hargreaves Lansdown, said that the government and the Bank had launched "a two pronged attempt to calm markets" as the pound remained weak and government borrowing costs inched up again.
"Policymakers and politicians are clearly nervous about seeing a repeat of the mini-financial crisis unleashed following the presentation of the Truss administration's slash and spend plans and fresh moves are being made to try and repair the damage," she said.
"All eyes will be on the independent assessment of his spending plans, and the risk is that if the numbers don't add up, the markets could take fright again."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63129555

Let's hope it's just a formality by the time a referendum is held, and we actually have a plan in place going forward...
People can't vote on unification if they don't know what it is. The Irish government need to start outlining a plan of what a new Ireland will look like.
What I don't understand is the DUP stance, staying out of government and making Ireland unworkable is surely damaging the claim to stay as is. Brexit has been a disaster for them

Do the realists in the Republic want anything to do with Northern Ireland?
That will be the question put to the people. It won't be easy but it can be done. Germany is a good example. It will require massive investment from the Irish, UK, EU and maybe the US.

That will be the question put to the people. It won't be easy but it can be done. Germany is a good example. It will require massive investment from the Irish, UK, EU and maybe the US.
Put to which people? North, South or both. If both then a Scottish ref should be for all the UK. However that way Scotland would get independence. 😂😂

It will be put to both, two separate vote's. Scotland don't have to do much convincing under the Tory government. Johnston and Truss have done most of the work for them. 😉

It will be put to both, two separate vote's. Scotland don't have to do much convincing under the Tory government. Johnston and Truss have done most of the work for them. 😉
What about Irish Americans do they also get to have a separate ref?🥴

06CA4484-5AB3-47C4-94BD-017817FB7C4A.jpeg

Dutch cartoon absolutely spot on.

Latest posts

Back