The downfall of the Tory party.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nicola Sturgeon’s assessment of current Conservative plans for growth.

Growth in the gap between rich and poor.

Growth in the rates of poverty.

Growth in the pressure on our NHS and other public services.

And, without any doubt - Growth in the deep disgust the public feel for all of it.

Like I’ve previously said, I aren’t a fan, but she tells it as she sees it.

Best for her to go now, Not in two years time,By then the damage may be irreparable.

Trying to ape a dead woman with at best a checkered history in government.IS NOT THE WAY FORWARD.

Latest assesment of our government
1665579842629.png

When is a cut a cut?​

e414b9e7-a5c2-45ac-b2ea-d3cc490579cd.jpg

Chris Mason
Political editor

The most striking line from Liz Truss in Prime Minister's Questions was when she said there wouldn't be any government spending cuts.
But how is that going to work if the government is also intent on not junking any more of its budget plans announced a few weeks ago?
I've just spent 20 minutes in what we call a "huddle" here in Parliament, where political reporters fire questions at the prime minister's official spokesman.
There are two explanations, both of which do point to shrinking budgets.
The first is that the colossal injection of public money being spent helping families and businesses with energy bills is included, so there isn't a cut overall but government departments still face cuts to their budgets.
The second, more likely explanation, is that the numbers in the spreadsheets won't fall, but won't rise as fast as inflation.
That allows the prime minister to answer the question in the way she did, but government departments will face budgets that mean the money they have doesn't go as far as it did.
Her official spokesman wouldn’t be drawn on whether this was a plausible explanation, but didn’t deny it.

Several Tories have rang 5 live this morning saying they never thought they would say it but they are voting Labour next time as they cannot vote Tory again.

Best for her to go now, Not in two years time,By then the damage may be irreparable.

Trying to ape a dead woman with at best a checkered history in government.IS NOT THE WAY FORWARD.

Markets have her favourite to go next year.

I just cannot understand what the hell is going on.. I have never ever voted tory in my life anyway but its almost like they are setting fire to the place on purpose and giving it to labour to sort out

Summary

1. Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng admits there was "some turbulence" in the economy after last month's mini-budget
  2. He says he is "absolutely, 100 percent not going anywhere" when asked about his position
  3. Asked directly if the government will U-turn on elements of his mini-budget, including corporation tax, he responds that he is focused on delivering the plan
  4. PM Liz Truss faces growing calls from within her party to rethink, with one Tory MP telling our political editor Chris Mason: "It's checkmate, we're screwed”
  5. Downing Street refuses to comment on reports that talks are under way on reversing parts of the mini-budget, saying "our position hasn't changed"
  6. The pound earlier jumped from under $1.11 to $1.13 amid speculation about a possible government U-turn
  7. But the foreign secretary and international trade secretary call on Tory MPs to rally round their leader

Wonder what would happen if Labour called for a vote of no confidence?
If they were cunning, the Tories would support it, leave Labour holding the baby and come back in at the next election. There isn't going to be a quick fix, the world is going into a recession, though the way China is talking I think Australia may dodge a bullet.

Wonder what would happen if Labour called for a vote of no confidence?
There Tories would vote against it, just like they did last time. A successful vote of no confidence forces a general election, and the Tories know they'll lose a lot of seats next election.

Turkeys don't vote for Christmas

Tories on 5 live saying they don't want a general election because they know they will lose big, so they are happy to see the country head towards bankrupcy as long as they keep their jobs, you couldn'take it up.

If they were cunning, the Tories would support it, leave Labour holding the baby and come back in at the next election. There isn't going to be a quick fix, the world is going into a recession, though the way China is talking I think Australia may dodge a bullet.
I think once the numbers come out regarding the cost of the minibudget in increased interest payments then 2008 (which was global and not self inflicted) will seem minor. I think that the mortgage payers will still have something to remind them, for some time, of the tories financial acumen.
Australia still increasing global warming? and backing Putin mate?

There's rumours Rishi Sunak is been lined up to succeed her (probably untrue, but shows the chaos in the Tory party).

For all their flaws, the Tories could always claim to be competent with the economy.
That reputation has been ruined in the space of three weeks.

Starmer must be delighted

There's rumours Rishi Sunak is been lined up to succeed her (probably untrue, but shows the chaos in the Tory party).

For all their flaws, the Tories could always claim to be competent with the economy.
That reputation has been ruined in the space of three weeks.

Starmer must be delighted
The tories always claimed to be competent with their economy, unfortunately that wasn't the vast majority of UK's economy. I think that their claims didn't hold well when examined. Did I read somewhere that the debt always was up when they left power? I'll have to go check

Latest posts

Back