Thermopot conversion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you already have a 44mm hole enlarging this with a hole cutter will be difficult without a centre pilot hole.

I've gone for the elaborate method of sticky labels and then marked out the centre and an outline for the cutter so I do have a guide for where to drill. Is there a different method?

djcorbetto said:
I've gone for the elaborate method of sticky labels and then marked out the centre and an outline for the cutter so I do have a guide for where to drill. Is there a different method?
No that's sounds fine, if you are drilling a fresh hole with the pilot drill and hole saw.

It will be difficult to keep the cutter in the same path if you don't have a pilot hole. I find it tends to skid about until it starts to bite, so it may be a little off centre.

That would be ideal for cutting
The channel out. Would it work on enlarging the hole?

I was worried about the skipping effect the saw would have but if I pulsed it would that work?

dont think u could cut a larger neat circle out in one, u could however snip out a square access hole easily, to cut a circle u may need to nibble out perpendicular to the tangent, from the centre point out, all the way round and then nibble each bit out to make the larger circle, and even then i think it would be rough..

as its the bottom its never going to be looked at, and o can cover it up with anything u want when done.

i used an angle grinder and its very rough.. but never seen :)

8395211182_bc04d24300.jpg

bobsbeer said:
It will be difficult to keep the cutter in the same path if you don't have a pilot hole. I find it tends to skid about until it starts to bite, so it may be a little off centre.
Exactly it's now angle grinder or dremel time, and as Fil says won't show and plenty of ways to cover up.

I got hold of a bubbler and it's fixed my hole issue. It's
Just the pipe work now that is confusing me, I just looked at fitting it in my the elbow sticks out, how is this so?

djcorbetto said:
I got hold of a bubbler and it's fixed my hole issue. It's
Just the pipe work now that is confusing me, I just looked at fitting it in my the elbow sticks out, how is this so?

Pics of what u mean would help..

what elbow/pipe fittings ate u using?

i had to cut off most of the shank on the deck fitting i used, and then grind down both the elbow and deck fitting stub with a belt sander to get them within the bottom cavity and direct the pipe out of the centre of the skirt so the valve would sit above the base level.

8418299054_cf3d1a1219.jpg

I'm at work so don't have a picture to hand but I've got a tank connector as the drain and then an elbow goes on it to direct the pipe work towards the outside of the tank but the one I've got protudes out, is there a link to the part I want or should I be putting a grinder to the part?

good news is a brass tank connector should be a lot easier to cut and sand down to size, i ended up with about 2 circles of thread, just enough to catch n squeeze on my deck fitting, stand the elbow on a washer on the pot bottom to judge if u also need to sand/grind that down too, tho if using copper pipe, thats soft enough to double kink i9n the length between the centre and edge for alignment.

with brass fittings i would try a large flat hand file first, or a sanding block even, it will probably make short work of it. the grinder may be too aggressive. And its not got a flat work face so maintaining a flat acute face on the elbow for the seal could prove tricky.

i used SS bits which are a bit harder to work and needed a much more aggressive approach, still took all night...

I dunno?? But I dont think its how you should use a stone wheel?? and with power tools its best to err on the side of caution.

not a great pic , but the fitting i used is propped up so u can see just how little thread was left, take a hacksaw to chop off the bulk and finish with a hand file or coarse sanding block would be quickest, 1st time i presented my bit to the belt sander it ended up in the far corner in the garage. and the second....... power tools are not always the fastest solution ;)

8417200355_37f162d743.jpg

even with the flat belt sander face i managed to sand off the level on my elbow a bit.. luckily i managed to sand it down further and make enough flat face to make the seal.

I got a bench grinder but I used the hack saw on them and so far the elbow is just under the surface, but I will do some cutting on the elbow and see what i can remove to make even more space in the gap. And then it's just the measuring for where the valve is going to be so I can start cutting the channel

Latest posts

Back