These Ales of Wonder - 12th October 2024

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When did golden bitters become golden ales? Looking through old books there are plenty of references to Golden Bitter but nothing about Golden Ales.
Golden ales were a thing in 1888, so probably date back to at least Victoria's Golden Jubilee in 1887 :
1716250105776.png

When did golden bitters become golden ales? Looking through old books there are plenty of references to Golden Bitter but nothing about Golden Ales.

Commercially a lot of breweries have moved away from the description of 'bitter' and are instead called 'Amber Ale'.

Off the top of my head I think these have all changed over the last 10 years, and there will be plenty more.

Shepheard Neame's Spitfire
Marston's Pedigree
Well's Bombardier

Before the word 'Bitter' was commonly used. Early 20thcentury bitter became more common, leading to Golden Bitter which quite a lot of breweries were brewing. Seems the name, 'Golden Bitter' fell out of favour.
You still saw Golden Ale in 1952 : https://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2015/07/lets-brew-wednesday-1952-strong-golden.html

But in the modern sense I suspect there's a BJCP influence, as they lump together our beers with eg Aussie ones.

Commercially a lot of breweries have moved away from the description of 'bitter' and are instead called 'Amber Ale'.

Off the top of my head I think these have all changed over the last 10 years, and there will be plenty more.

Shepheard Neame's Spitfire
Marston's Pedigree
Well's Bombardier
In the case of Spitfire at least, that was because they moved to using Spitfire as a sub-brand in its own right, and brought out a golden ale which had to be distinguished from the original :
1716312716228.png

Putting the cat amongst the pigeons this week with Stouts and Porters, featuring our head judge Keith (who took champion brewer at the LAB Open with a porter and a kolsch)

A Tuesday night meet up with fellow Norwich Amateur Brewer BJCP judges to sample these beauties: Old Ale, Wee Heavy, Barley Wine, Strong Ale.

Promises to be a downhill task.

I have never had a wee heavy. Thanks to Scottish Craft Brewers for recommending the Tracquair House Ale - can't wait to taste a beer fermented in wood!

If all goes well, slightly silly videos to follow.

Attachments

• PXL_20240528_133103356.jpg
    PXL_20240528_133103356.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 0
I have never had a wee heavy.
At one point there was only one left - Fowler's 12 Guineas (ie "252/-" in the shilling system) - which ended up in the hands of ABI, who contracted it out to Heriot Brewery and then Belhaven, so the Belhaven Wee Heavy is arguably the One True representative of the "style" (such as it is, it's weird how the US has seized on it in the same way as ESB). Given that Greene King also have Strong Suffolk in stock at the moment, it may be worth holding your nose and putting in an order - the Belhaven Stout is also great if you need to bulk out the order a bit.

At one point there was only one left - Fowler's 12 Guineas (ie "252/-" in the shilling system) - which ended up in the hands of ABI, who contracted it out to Heriot Brewery and then Belhaven, so the Belhaven Wee Heavy is arguably the One True representative of the "style" (such as it is, it's weird how the US has seized on it in the same way as ESB). Given that Greene King also have Strong Suffolk in stock at the moment, it may be worth holding your nose and putting in an order - the Belhaven Stout is also great if you need to bulk out the order a bit.
DIdn't know any of that! Thank you.

I thought there was a faint trace of brett in the Tracquair House Ale - and I very much enjoyed it. The Orkney Skull Splitter was less of a star.

More of that when I do the edit .

I will report that even though we sipped, finding words coherently became harder as the evening went on.

We did have a lovely time though.

My star beer was perhaps OId Tom (Barley Wine), that hid it's alcohol in the manner of a tripel.

Still, save it for the edit....

Thanks

MArtin

Ron Pattinson has written quite a bit about Fowler's 12 Guineas, in the early days it had such a high OG that the *FG* was 1.060 or something mad like that.
OId Tom (Barley Wine)
Hmm - it doesn't identify as such, Robbies call it variously a strong ale and a dark ale. Since I see you have the Adnams Old Ale in there, you might care to read my attempt to resolve the Old Ale thing (there's arguably three different styles under that name, varying in time and geography).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...favorite-recipe.472464/page-132#post-10320112

Ron Pattinson has written quite a bit about Fowler's 12 Guineas, in the early days it had such a high OG that the *FG* was 1.060 or something mad like that.

Hmm - it doesn't identify as such, Robbies call it variously a strong ale and a dark ale. Since I see you have the Adnams Old Ale in there, you might care to read my attempt to resolve the Old Ale thing (there's arguably three different styles under that name, varying in time and geography).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...favorite-recipe.472464/page-132#post-10320112
That's superhelpful.

In the end we didn't drink Adnams Old Ale as an old ale, as it has no age on it.

You will see our views when the edit is done, but we found it similarly contested. In 2015 BJCP Old Ale allowed brett, in 2021 it only allows mild acidity. and yet extended aging a beer in wood is likely to give leather and pineapple alongside vanilla.

If the style for comp purposes is 'aged character', then there are very few examples, as you note.

I think we came up with one, that you may not be aware of - but you'll have to wait and see!

Thanks so much

MArtin

Back