Thoughts on this recipe please !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheshirehomebrew

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all, have looked through what I current have left to brew with and have put together the following for an IPA:

any thoughts comments would be appreciated, also I have tried to calculate the IBU's but I keep getting different answers which isnt helping.

its a 25l brew day and I am open to tweaking the recipe somewhat

WHEAT

Marris Otter 6kg

Pale Crystal Malt 350gms

Crystal Malt 50gms

Torrified Wheat 500gms

HOPS

Target 20gms @ 60 minutes

Bramling Cross 30gms @ 10 mins

Cascade 25gms@ 10 mins + 20gms at flame out

Wheat mashed at 65 degrees for 60 mins

Ferment at 18 degrees (US-05)

Have you not put it through a beer recipe calculator?

Batch Size (L): 25.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.065
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.39 %
Colour (SRM): 7.8 (EBC): 15.4
Bitterness (IBU): 28.3 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75

6.000 kg Maris Otter Malt (86.96%)
0.500 kg Torrified Wheat (7.25%)
0.350 kg Crystal 80 EBC Pale/Medium (5.07%)
0.050 kg Crystal 145 EBC Medium (0.72%)

20.0 g Target Leaf (9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
30.0 g Bramling Cross Leaf (6.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes
25.0 g Cascade Leaf (9.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes
20.0 g Cascade Leaf (9.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes

The IBUs are low based on the alphas I have stored in Brewmate, and the 50g crystal seems a bit odd, almost pointless? Unless it's just using up. OG 1065 based on 75% efficiency.

Hi Clibit i did and it went screwy twice, kept coming out lower than i thought but maybe thats right then, the standard crystal malt is partly to use up and partly for colour without making it too much a nutty brown if that makes sense.

I may have to tweak this then to get the IBU's a bit higher as was aiming for around 30ish but overall I am am pretty happy with it as it stands right now

thanks for replying

Hi Clibit i did and it went screwy twice, kept coming out lower than i thought but maybe thats right then, the standard crystal malt is partly to use up and partly for colour without making it too much a nutty brown if that makes sense.

I may have to tweak this then to get the IBU's a bit higher as was aiming for around 30ish but overall I am am pretty happy with it as it stands right now

thanks for replying

Won't be an IPA with 30 IBUs, but it's only a name...

yes true, I may have to change the hops over to a higher alpha hop, would you say 45-50 IBU's to IPA it?

For my tastes, the malt looks well balanced (although a much stronger brew than my norm!)
I'd have thought that, if you want to up the EBU, and I'd have thought that the malt bill will certainly take it, then it needs the hop flavour/aroma upping as well. (You don't mention dry-hopping, though, and this would do it)

Thanks Clibit & Hoppyland, I wasnt go to dry hop this brew as i usually do that, but wanted to see how much difference it makes and if I like it.

Looking at the hops I have I might need to use something else as i want a bigger impact really. mmmmmmh decisions decisions !

Well i finally got round to brewing last night and tweaked the recipe somewhat, will post tomorrow what I did, what the new grain bill/hops was.

It took an age to chill, lucky is was cold out last night as I left it there to before bringing it back in before I went to bed.

Latest posts

Back