What style?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHudds

Reaction score
Hello. I enjoy trying to create recipes after reading/researching here and playing with Brewfather. I was looking to make 'something my dad might like' this time round. So I've got the following conditioning, but I don't really know what to call it when he/other people ask. I understand naming is fluid and somewhat dictated by current trends and marketing, but I just wondered, and thought it would be interesting to know what you might call this:

Vitals
Original Gravity: 1.040
Final Gravity: 1.009
IBU (Tinseth): 37
BU/GU: 0.82
Colour: 23 EBC

Mash - 65°C - 60 min

Malts
90% - Crisp Finest Maris Otter - 6.5 EBC
6% - Crisp Medium Crystal - 265 EBC
4% - Crisp Torrefied Wheat - 5 EBC

Hops
34 IBU - Admiral - Boil - 55 min
3 IBU - Challenger 6.4% - Boil - 5 min

Yeast
1 pkg - Lallemand Verdant IPA

Fermentation
Primary - 18°C - 14 days

Carbonation
2.4 CO2-vol

Water Profile
Ca2+ 109 Mg2+ 10 Na+ 9 Cl- 52 SO42- 198 HCO3- 19

Thanks for the replies. Something I could tell my dad was 'a bitter' is pretty much what I was going for, but I didn't know if English Pale Ale might be used, as it's bottled, a bit higher carbonation and the yeast called IPA! I'm learning, slowly!

Thanks for the replies. Something I could tell my dad was 'a bitter' is pretty much what I was going for, but I didn't know if English Pale Ale might be used, as it's bottled, a bit higher carbonation and the yeast called IPA! I'm learning, slowly!
If I remember rightly Lallemand Verdant origin is London III (I could have gotten that completely wrong but pretty sure it is the case) and while true that the Wyeast website suggests it is synonymous with NEIPA’s and the like I have used in both Mild and Bitter with really good results.

If I remember rightly Lallemand Verdant origin is London III (I could have gotten that completely wrong but pretty sure it is the case) and while true that the Wyeast website suggests it is synonymous with NEIPA’s and the like I have used in both Mild and Bitter with really good results.
The yeast is unique. May have started as III but after some many reuses it turned into something else

The yeast is unique. May have started as III but after some many reuses it turned into something else
Thanks always hard to say on info received on various forums if it is true or or if it has just being restated so many times that it is assumed to be fact.

You may already be aware of this but if you've used Brewfather to come up with the recipe click on the styles button ( box with two opposing arrows above table of parameters) and it will show the most fitting style with a percentage to show how close to BJCP interpretation it is.

I didn't know that. I think I'd plumped for a style, and was within the parameters, but they all overlap so much I wasn't really sure. I like that button though, giving the percentage match.

For the above, it Best Bitter is the top match, 95%, then Altbier on 93%.

Latest posts

Back