Tilting the FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Apologies I posted about this a while back, but forgot to include a pic

Recently discovered these things called pump wedges (used by window fitters and various other people) and they are absolutely the dog’s doodahs for the job of gently and controllably tilting an FV when you’re trying to run off without disturbing the sediment. Pretty much infinitely adjustable, easy to operate single handed and can’t slip out.
C26D328A-EB35-428D-94C2-8E2548AA7393.jpeg

Various sizes available but I’m using these ones which give from zero to about 2.5” lift and have no trouble lifting a full fermenter.
Well worth having around.

I just use a block of wood. Tilt the fv on it when there's a gallon left.
A time-honoured solution and one that I used for years albeit occasionally accompanied by colourful language when it slipped and sloshed up the sediment ;)
In truth when I saw our window installers using a pair to align the heavy frames as easy as pie, I thought for the price of a tenner it was something I should have in my toolbox (I’m a sucker for tools)... Then when I was running off the sediment I reached for something to prop up the FV and thought ahaaa!
Anyhow, you know how it is when you find exactly the right tool for the job? It really does work very well athumb..

A friend of mine has a few of these. It's amazing how many things you find they are useful for!

Today,instead of the aforementioned towel to aid tilting the mash tun I'm trying....the Oven Glove!
I know...radical!
So far it has proved far superior as it's a smaller item to fold but due to its thicker construction requires LESS folding.

Latest posts

Back