To kill or not to kill.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadakirk

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Quick cider question. I've made a lot of turbo ciders but this Autumn I'm stepping up pressing some real apples.
I am going to be making about 1 carboy. My question is , should I kill all the wild yeast and add some purchased yeast or let it run wild. I like the idea of traditional and natural but what amount of risk am I running? Thanks, Kirk

Personally I would freeze / thaw the apples. That are wiped clean. Then press no need to scrat.
And then add your purchased yeast.
No need to kill. The yeast will overwhelm it.

That said lalle k1v yeast is very good for cider and is a "killer" yeast strain.

Google "k1v-1116 yeast"

What press do you have?

I make cider. I give the apples a bit of a hose down and then chuck them in a tub of weak metabisulphite and then chop them ready for the scratter. I never actually change this solution and it gets a bit muddy by the end of the session so I'm probably wasting my time with metabisulphite. Then pitch cider or champagne yeast. Never tried freezing them, as @MashBag suggests, as I haven't got a big enough freezer I understand the Canadians press their apples partially frozen to make their Ice Cider, which runs out out 12% abv and is absolutely delicious.

Personally I would freeze / thaw the apples. That are wiped clean. Then press no need to scrat.
And then add your purchased yeast.
No need to kill. The yeast will overwhelm it.

That said lalle k1v yeast is very good for cider and is a "killer" yeast strain.

Google "k1v-1116 yeast"

What press do you have?
Thank you for the reply. No press as of yet. Being a small trial batch I was going to do it with a cloth by hand. If it works out I`ll get a proper press for next season.

I make cider. I give the apples a bit of a hose down and then chuck them in a tub of weak metabisulphite and then chop them ready for the scratter. I never actually change this solution and it gets a bit muddy by the end of the session so I'm probably wasting my time with metabisulphite. Then pitch cider or champagne yeast. Never tried freezing them, as @MashBag suggests, as I haven't got a big enough freezer I understand the Canadians press their apples partially frozen to make their Ice Cider, which runs out out 12% abv and is absolutely delicious.
Thank you for the information. Ive never heard of ice cider but pressing partially frozen is a likely outcome here lol.

Back