Tomrrow's brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
What do you lot reckon about this:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 kg DME
1.60 kg LME (Marris Otter)
0.45 kg Golden Syrup
0.25 kg Crystal Malt
0.25 kg Sugar

60.00 gm Chinook [12.70 %] (60 min)
25.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.70 %] (15 min)
25.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.70 %] (5 min)
10.00 gm Chinook [12.70 %] (0 min)

Should give me 84 IBU... may up the Chinook a tad for more bitterness/flavour.....

rather bitter for my taste :shock: I like my IBU's way down below 30 mainly, but each to his own.

the rest seems fine enjoy your brew

Having never tried the other 2 - i'd say s-04 (I have a brew fermented with Windsor about to be kegged)

Don't know what mauri 541 is - I am drunk, but s04 is kinda foolproof for tests imo, must try something else some day heh.

Glad thats done!

Major learning occured today.

Lesson 1: Dont pour DME into hot water.
Lesson 2: I need a bigger pot or a proper boiler.

Hop schedule actually went:

Chinook 50g 60mins
Goldings 25g Chinook 10g 20mins
Goldings 25g Chinook 10g Aurora 10g 0mins

jonewer said:
Should dissolve in cold water first I guess.
I usually add the hot water to the extract. I think you'd find it very difficult to dissolve in cold water.
jonewer said:
DME because it was there!
Lol. Fair enough. I though that maybe there was a need for the enzymes that I wasn't aware of.

Don't worry too much about the lack of signs of life yet. I'd leave it until tomorrow morning before pitching more yeast (but as you've got it, it won't do any harm to add it now). It might also be an idea to re-aerate the wort as well

AndyB said:
Lol. Fair enough. I though that maybe there was a need for the enzymes that I wasn't aware of.

Haha! You obviously mistook me for someone who knows what they are doing. :D

Its sprung to life now and merrily farts every minute or three.

AndyB said:
jonewer said:
DME because it was there!
Not sure but DME appears to be used as dried malt extract and diastatic malt extract, even though the two aren't the same. Even seen it called DMS (diastatic malt syrup, to be confused with dimethyl sulfide). I'm guessing here it was just dried extract.

ano said:
I'm guessing here it was just dried extract.
Of course! That also explains the lumpiness! I was assuming it stood for diastatic and was contemplating an experiment with a bit of liquid diastatic malt extract (can you get dried diastatic malt extract?) just to try and create lumpy syrup. Doh!

Back