Too much head space in secondary?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddyb2

Reaction score
I had one demijohn of cider + 1.5 litters in another container. I thought this would rack nicely into a 1 gallon demijohn for secondary, but because of sediment and some spillage, it turns out there a fair bit of headspace.

Is this going to cause oxygenation? Should I consider bottling now rather than leaving in secondary?

Attachments

• 20220925_140037.jpg
    20220925_140037.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 9
No sure, maybe two or three weeks? Could do with clearing a bit more.

Last edited:
Degassing aids clearing finings speeds it up a lot.

This video is from the supermarket juice wine thread i linked to above he tried letting it clear naturally but gave up degassed and added finings.

He said it took a week mine always cleared in 48 hours

Thanks. I decided to bottle in the end. Sediment be damned!
Leave them upright in the fridge the sediment will settle then pour gently into another bottle when you are about to drink a bottle you should get most of the wine out without disturbing the sediment, we have done it lots of times.
Don't try to pour a glass or two from the original bottle do the bottle trick above or when you tip the bottle back the sediment will come off the bottom and you will be drinking something that looks like dish water ;)

Latest posts

Back