Too much sugar added what now?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazylizard

Reaction score
Hi guys

So since bottling my Geordie ale kit. I decided to start up another I bought some time ago its the young's pilsner lager kit..

every thing went to plan until like an idiot :( instead of adding 1.5 kg of sugar I added 1.6kg or perhaps a wee bit more ...

question will this effect the taste? is that the brew ruined? or what?

thanks

Last edited:
What did your OG become, I assume higher than expected?
If you have the OG was the same as expected you may have affected flavour a little as it will be diluted a little.
If the OG was higher than expected you are going to end up with a stronger brew.

That's going to dry it out a bit. The yeast is going to like that. Not too much harm though. It will be drinkable and you may prefer it. I would leave it as is. I'm assuming 19-21l batch.

hi my OG was 1051 which is only 1 above the geordie ale kit i made.. so i hope its ok

hi my OG was 1051 which is only 1 above the geordie ale kit i made.. so i hope its ok
It will be fine, just a tad stronger thats all and perhaps a little drier. So just learn from the lesson and move on. Its more important, however, that you get the priming sugar quantity right, and certainly dont add any more than is recommended.

Latest posts

Back