Toolstation 60w tube heater 1 year on

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthonyUK

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just a word of warning to those using these in your fermenting fridges.

I took the cover off of mine at the weekend to add a cable to power a small 240v fan to the 'choc block' connector.
The 'choc block' had virtually disintegrated and the plastic just crumbled away at the slightest touch due the heat damage
The Bakelite type plastic that forms the base was also cracked in multliple places.
I have glued the base as best I could and replaced the 'choc block' with a better quality part but will check again in a week or so and replace it if required.

Mines fairly new and working ok. One to keep an eye on.

mine stopped working pretty soon after purchase. sent them an email and they sent me a new one immediately

My 100w one from TLC has been working fine for nearly 4 years but its in a DIY insulated cabinet rather than a converted fridge.

I've got 2 of these running in my fridge (to share the load in winter). In order to have them running in parallel I re-wired them. When I took them apart to do so I noticed that the contacts were very loose. Obviously when I put it all back together I rectified this but it's something to note when you buy one. I would definitely recommend taking it apart and making sure all the contacts are tight and everything looks OK. I actually contacted the seller about this, but as it was a new package sealed product he didn't take a lot of interest.

ScottM said:
I've got 2 of these running in my fridge (to share the load in winter). In order to have them running in parallel I re-wired them. When I took them apart to do so I noticed that the contacts were very loose. Obviously when I put it all back together I rectified this but it's something to note when you buy one. I would definitely recommend taking it apart and making sure all the contacts are tight and everything looks OK. I actually contacted the seller about this, but as it was a new package sealed product he didn't take a lot of interest.
Was this a Toolstation heater or one from eBay?

rpt said:
ScottM said:
Was this a Toolstation heater or one from eBay?

That particular one was from ebay. Not sure which brand they were, they were both different brands though and both had exactly the same faulty wiring. One was also a 40W while the other was a 60W.

That reminds me of when I used to have a FV cupboard (a converted 1/2 wardrobe) I had a 100W bulb and a DIY temp controller, made with a lot of salvaged stuff.
Worked fine for several years until I got rid of it about 10 years ago.

mattybabsy said:
mine stopped working pretty soon after purchase. sent them an email and they sent me a new one immediately
+1 :thumb:

Lets see how long this one lasts :roll:

Latest posts

Back