Torrified Wheat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virgilartois

Reaction score
I searched a bit on the forum for information about torrified wheat but couldn't quite figure out how much TW is normally used in a 23L brewlength. I only want to use enough for head retention while avoiding the breakfast cereal flavour some of you mentioned. This will be a bog standard pale ale, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!

I'd go no more than 5%, I loved using TW but once over did it, I now know what they mean by the overpowering taste!!
If I was you I'd use crushed wheat malt instead. :thumb:

BB :drink:

Thanks for that, BB! I used wheat malt in my last brew but it's still in the FV so I can't say how it turned out yet. I'll try somewhere around 4% to start with and see what kind of effect I get from it.

May get into protein rests and all that advanced stuff if I keep using wheat...

Thanks again!

Virgilartois said:
Thanks for that, BB! I used wheat malt in my last brew but it's still in the FV so I can't say how it turned out yet. I'll try somewhere around 4% to start with and see what kind of effect I get from it.

May get into protein rests and all that advanced stuff if I keep using wheat...

Thanks again!
I never had an issue with haze, just the taste.....it's the same as chewing it from the bag!
I will use it again but less than 5%.

BB

I tend to use a little oats for mouthfeel and balance that with about double the amount of torrefied wheat for head retention. Then again, there's always cara-pils that does both.

Stone Cold said:
what's a man got to do for a little head round here!
Pic1291.jpg

If using flaked wheat for head retention can it be added straight to the mash tun or does it need to be steeped during the boil?

Cheers

rivetcatcher said:
If using flaked wheat for head retention can it be added straight to the mash tun or does it need to be steeped during the boil?

Cheers

Mash tun always - I have a feeling that it must be mashed with base malt for conversion because it's got no diastatic enzyme power of its own (but I could be wrong).

rivetcatcher said:
Cheers Eddie,

I have also read something similar but had no idea what it meant :wha:

Aleman will give you the full explanation if you need it, I'm sure.

John Palmer usually explains these things very well. If you are new to AG brewing, I would definitely advocate you reading his book. The chapter on enzymatic activity is below....

http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12.html

Latest posts

Back