total newbie with allotment question.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tojo82

Reaction score
Hello everyone my name is rae, this is my first post so thought I would introduce myself first.
My wife and I share an allotment with her mother and I am wondering what things I can produce wine from. Every year we have about 200lbs of damsons grow in the border of our allotment. Last year we halved and de stoned them and added them to vodka, gin or whatever we could get with sugar and left them in kilner jars. This week I have hopefully started a 4 gallon batch of plum wine and a 1 gallon batch with golden plums. I have a lot of beetroot and want to try and make beetroot wine but dont know what yeast I need? I have also bought some robinson no added sugar lemon and no added sugar tropical juice to make the drink I have read from the forum here. In that recipe it states I need youngs super yeast and some yeast nutrient is this same yeast okay to make the beetroot wine? Can someone please explain why online there are so many different varieties of yeast and turbo yeast what ever that is. Sorry for the long post but hopefully someone can help. Rae

I have also bought some robinson no added sugar lemon and no added sugar tropical juice to make the drink I have read from the forum here.

Do you know what this wine was called or the thread title?

I have never made beetroot wine but as it does not call for a specific type of yeast i imagine a general purpose one like the youngs you mention will be fine, i have used this yeast from day one in all my supermarket juice wines and have never had one not finish.

Here is a Beetroot Wine Recipe.

Ingredients:

4 lb beetroot
½ lb sultanas or raisins
Juice of 2 large lemons
½ pint strong tea
1¾ lb to 2¼ lb sugar
Wine yeast
Nutrient
Water
Method:

Scrub the beetroots (but do not peel) and chop into small chunks
Boil in 6 pints of water for about 15 minutes.
Strain, discard the beets, and put the juice into a fermenting bin. Chop the sultanas or raisins and add to the bin along with half of the sugar.
Allow to cool and then add the lemon juice, wine yeast, nutrient and tea.
Cover and allow to ferment for a week, stirring daily.
Strain and press and return to a clean fermenting bin.
Boil the remaining sugar in 2 pints of water for 2 or 3 minutes and add to the bin.
Cover again and leave for 3 or 4 days.
Pour carefully into a gallon jar, leaving as much deposit behind as possible.
Fill up the jar with cooled, boiled water to where the neck begins.
Fit a fermentation lock and leave until fermentation has finished.
Rack, as necessary, and syphon into bottles.
Makes 1 gallon of wine.

Back