Totton GP20/12

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Springer

Its a dogs life
Reaction score
Had a bit of hassle with my Totton last brew, started to sound very noisey. :evil: It has not done much work to my mind but these things happen. :)
So I stripped it today to find that the drive magnet had gone cow mouthed and was shackling about on the shaft. :cry:
I rang the man at Totton and he said the magnet is held on with a grub screw, which they loctite in place, didn't tell me it was a 3 mm grub screw, ..............with a allen key hex as big at the hole done a gnats whatsit. :hmm:
Well I levered the magnet a bit and got it off the shaft,...................... in three pieces. :evil:
Anyone else had trouble like this
icon_e_sad.gif
A new drive magnet is £27 and I think thats plus vat and postage.
icon_cry.gif

The pump has a 8mm dia shaft and the magnet seating boss is 10mm long with an overhang of 30mm, frugal design to my mind.
However with bit of luck I have machined up a new back for the magnet in aluminium, we will see if it works out tomorrow, need to get some 3 mm screws to put it all back together.
So have I just been unlucky with my pump.
icon_e_confused.gif

If the repair doesn't work do I get another of these pumps, actually I need two, fed up with messing about changing pump positions. At 70 quid a pop it is perhaps not to bad, but I want them to last longer than this one.
Are there any alternatives, I have butch Stuart Turner type which has its own pension book tied to it, it this the way to go.
icon_e_confused.gif

S
If the machining comes good,
innocent0001.gif
I will post pictures.

Had my pump for 3+ years now and now problems at all, just strip outs and clean.

Hope yours get sorted :thumb:

Thanks Nick, I hope so too. :pray:
Am planning on doing some re-piping soon,.........the fitting that came with the pump, from Norm, are rated at 65 degree are they usable at higher temps. :?
S

I have recirc'd the boiling wort when applying the chiller it does pump it but slowly not at it's usual speed.

Thanks both, the pumps are rated at 85 degrees but the JG fitting are stamped 65 degress max. So I am sure they will be ok for mash cycle its the pumping to the cooler that has got me thinking. 30 degrees over spec for 20 mins................ :hmm:
S

I don't think you'll have any problems with the JG fittings failing. They are usually rated +65 which has reduced pressure uses etc but they are used in hot drinks machines so would imagine they can take near/boiling, though worth calling them if you need peace of mind. I've used them myself for a boiling recirc as hose connectors and never had any problems with them. If you are thinking of using them with stainless tube try the Super Seal fittings, the standard fittings can slip on polished surfaces.

Thanks for that V. Yes I think you are right, will give them a go. :D
I managed to get the magnet mounted onto an ali boss but the magnet material was a bit "composite" and the m3 theads broke out the side in a half of the six tappings. The magnet shell is only 5mm thick so there was not much room for error. Anyway I did it all up with glue as well as bolts and think it should hold. :hmm:
I was a little out in my calcs, no drawing :roll: :oops: and the end of the drive casing rubbed the ali boss, cured by putting spacers between the pump and the motor end. :thumb:
It is now pumping like it hasn't for a long time,
icon_e_biggrin.gif
So with luck and
innocent0001.gif
it will be ok.
S
I might get a pump in stock for the bad day, before it arrives.
icon_e_wink.gif

Sorry to hear about this, hope the fix works!

For what its worth, mine has done probably about 20 brews, but in many cases just to empty the boiler rather than prolonged recycling of the wort. I tried it above 85c but it started to bind quite heavily as I neared boiling, and I couldn't be bothered to clean/sanitise it chemically between mashing and boiler emptying. I just invested in one of the expensive march 815PL ones because of that (plus having my solar project pumps start to fail).

But if you are okay with the temperature limitation yet wanted to try a different design I noticed recently that the harmony hut has some 'manufacturer refurbished' March MMP3 pumps in - here - they seem pretty comparable to the totton so could be worth some research.

Cheers
Kev

Thank for that Kev, jury is still out, I have had a quick look at the March pumps and may give one a punt, just don't know which way to go next. :hmm: (are they two stage like the Totton, my ST is a big beast with a big impeller :D , but Tottons seems to do the job for all, and the price is right. :D

So its back working, with new plumbing, old by pass with a bleed off added to help priming, (and also draining
icon_e_wink.gif
) as mentioned by Northern Brewer :thumb: Note the big thick spacer to allow for the cock up in the "new" design. :oops:
icon_lol.gif

I have plumbed to allow for a quick change between Totton and Stuart Turner, with those JG fittings
icon_e_wink.gif

8033442994_207a1980ae_c.jpg
[/img]

The flow rate looks good to me, just hope it keeps working. Flow on the right is from HLT filling up mash tun
8033442337_9647209061_c.jpg

S

P.S. Note the new tiled floor in the brewery, even went to Wilco's today and bought a mop and bucket, anyone out there know how to use one............
icon_redface.gif
icon_lol.gif

Springer said:
P.S. Note the new tiled floor in the brewery, even went to Wilco's today and bought a mop and bucket, anyone out there know how to use one............

just stick it in the corner, and every other saturday morning it will get the floor clean before you wake up, well thats how it works in the kitchen this end.. :)

Hi Springer,

I have just bought one of these pumps to use as the main pump in our new brewery.

You say yours has
old by pass with a bleed off added to help priming, (and also draining)

What is this and how does it help to prime?

Thanks,

DirtyC

But if you are okay with the temperature limitation yet wanted to try a different design I noticed recently that the harmony hut has some 'manufacturer refurbished' March MMP3 pumps in - here - they seem pretty comparable to the totton so could be worth some research.
I reviewed the MMP-3 pump many moons ago here ti's a good pump but I'd take the GP20/12 over it.

EDIT, I must add the GP 20/12 to that thread :hmm:

Well Fil, that sounds promising I will give it a go, I think I may need to tell Mrs.S the kit is out there waiting for her................ and put on a tin hat. :lol:

DC if you look at the top picture a "washing machine tap" (I used that cos I had it ) is on the pump outlet. Idea is that if there is some water and air upsteam , i.e. in the HERMS cooler the pump will not prime easily, by opening this tap the idea is that it lets out the air pushed through from the mash tun by gravity. :hmm:
I presume you have a by pass fitted, this just means the pump can pump around the small circuit with the black valve opened to reduce flow rate at the outlet.
icon_e_wink.gif

That was the way I was starting to think V, the price and I think I am the only one who has had thouble. :cry: A new one on the shelf, as I said will be a better investment that leaving money invested. :lol: :evil:

I see, sounds like a good idea. I've not actually used my pump yet, just got it the other day, still building the brewery at the moment. Thanks for explanation.

Yes seems to work well, got the idea from Northern Brewer. :D :thumb:
S
Get it piped up and some beer turned out. :)

Hi Pete, Long time...

Not done much (successful :oops: ) brewing for a while myself but up for some more Malt if you're going to Murphys in next couple of months.

I got a GP 20/12 from Norm last year after the old twin GP (don't remember number) pump fractured in the big freeze, Jan 12. Worked well for me and pumps boiling/near boiling wort OK perhaps at a slower rate though. All my fittings are copper/steel braided hose. Can't complain. So, warning, dont leave full of water in a very cold brewery, or disconnect and bring inside.

PJ

I will let you know next time I am off to Murphy's :thumb:
Started to get the stock up again recently :D
S

Latest posts

Back