Traditional Irish Red Ale (AG)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theo

Reaction score
Hi again.
After my first AG beer (in fact i never made any kit or extract beer) that was an American Pale Ale, i am about to make my second beer in a few days. An Irish Red. I will show you my recipe and you could give me some recommendations or suggestions if i have planned anything wrong. Just to note that it's not a clone but i followed the gravities of O'Hara Irish Red (4.3%) and not the higher american reds.

5 gallon batch (est.total efficiency 68%)

Grains
1) Pale malt Maris Otter (4.5 EBC) ---> 3kg (75.9%)
2) Caraamber (70 EBC) ---> 0.5kg (12.7%)
3) Biscuit (50EBC) ---> 0.35kg (8.9%)
4) Roasted Barley (1000 EBC) ---> 0.10kg (2.5%)

Hops
1) 24gr Fuggles (4.50%) 60min
2) 10gr East Kent Goldings (5.5%) 30min
3) 15gr East Kent Goldings (5.5%) 10min

Yeast
WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast
It produces a slight hint of diacetyl, balanced by a light fruitiness and slight dry crispness.
Great for Irish ales, stouts, porters, browns, reds and a very interesting pale ale.

Estimated OG: 1.044
Bitterness: 22.9 IBU
Color: 32.2 EBC
4.3% ABV

l5bi.jpg

(Actual image in BeerSmith is a bit darker than that)

Hi , well usually i would recommend dropping the crystal or other malts a few % but they all seem around about right , should make a good beer . When you plan on brewing this , i would be interested in tasting results . Hope it goes well for you . :thumb:

pittsy said:
Hi , well usually i would recommend dropping the crystal or other malts a few % but they all seem around about right , should make a good beer . When you plan on brewing this , i would be interested in tasting results . Hope it goes well for you . :thumb:

The reason i added "so much" caramel malts is that i personally like the malty flavours in a beer although Irish Reds normally don't have this character.
I also updated the hop additions by lowering the late hop quantities to give less of Goldings aromas to the beer. I've read that traditional Irish Reds are low in hop aroma.
What do you think?

Latest posts

Back