Train ticket pricing?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclepumble

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just off to Lancaster on the train.
I have been looking on the net for the cheapest return ticket or 2-3 weeks, everywhere came back with ticket at £32.50.

So I thought I would ask at my local stations kiosk for the cheapest return to Lancaster, the guy split the journey into two return tickets total £22.50, same journey same trains but £10 less :wha:

How do they work the pricing out?

Ah well now I have some more :drink: tokens for the meeting.

UP

unclepumble said:
How do they work the pricing out?UP

Same happened to me, I always thought return tickets are cheaper however it appears trains are different :wha:

Same happens with planes. M8 who had to commute to the continong for work used to get a M.........F return from here and a F..M return from there and save hundreds.
I'm sure I heard of one pathological case with trains where the return was cheaper than the single.
A lot depends on /when/ you go - any time used by business peeps gets expensive.

For train fare on tinternet try red spotted hanky :thumb:

It's not a red spotted hanky, it's a spotted red hanky :twisted:

No such problem with Thames link - no deals at all other than peak and off peak :(

Yeah it's deals and stuff usually. We get all sorts to London here in Birmingham because of the route. It's times too - trains are cheaper if you book them 24hrs in advance

When I was living in the UK I though the train prices were extremely expensive. Then I moved to Germany and I realised that train prices in the UK are fairly cheap!!!

alphacento said:
When I was living in the UK I though the train prices were extremely expensive. Then I moved to Germany and I realised that train prices in the UK are fairly cheap!!!
That depends a great deal on how you travel. If you are lucky enough to be able to get the advance deals it can be very cheap here. However, if you commute or have to travel at short notice you pay more over here.

http://fullfact.org/blog/UK_Europe_rail ... isons-2927

TheMumbler said:
That depends a great deal on how you travel. If you are lucky enough to be able to get the advance deals it can be very cheap here. However, if you commute or have to travel at short notice you pay more over here.

Yeah that's a good point. In Italy for exaple the price for most train is fixed (or use to be fixed) so you lways pay the same fair which is quite cheap. having said that the trains are awful, they stink and you arrive late!

Latest posts

Back