trouble shooting help.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huxley001

Reaction score
I made a pale ale. 5 gallons. I've made a pale ale before turned out good.

but this one pale ale turn out a little different. here was my recipe.
5.73 lb Light Dry Extract

1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine

1.00 lb Pale Malt 2 Row
2.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [10.6%] (50 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (40 min)
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50%] (25 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (15 min)

left in the carboy for 4 weeks then bottled. I drank some beers after 4 days , they were blond and had a foam head. after about a week the beer became more amber and had a roastier flavor, not in the nice way either, but not horrible that its undrinkable.

I did use irishmoss during the boil at the end. and this was my first time trying gelatin to clear the beer. um other info, I had to re pitch yeast the second day after I saw that fermentation didn't start.

does anybody know what could have caused this?
Like I've done pale ales before, usually lme plus carapils and hops and yeast and they have tuned out fine, and the beer didn't change color and flavor as time when on.

tbh i dont know too much about extract brewing and partial mashes, but i would question if the malt extract used was the same brand as used before?

While many of my beers benefit from a lot longer than a week or so in the bottle, often months, not weeks.. Ive not come across any significant colour changes during maturing?? and not within a week either?? thats most odd?

all you can do for now is let it rest a little longer and see how the flavour develops over the following weeks.. good luck..

the only think I can think of is the yeast. I had to pitch twice. So maybe the dead yeast made off flavors and some color change somehow.

Latest posts

Back