Twinketoes prances about

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twinketoes_91

Reaction score
Hello everyone :).

I started brewing kombucha since the beginning of February (2020). I moved from Ghent (Belgium) To Ennis (co. Clare in Ireland).

This is my kombucha-storyline :) ...
Some two years ago, I started working in a 'fermenting café' called O'YO, in Ghent (Belgium) where they served dishes revolving around fermented food / drinks (mostly yoghurt). It's here that I tasted kombucha for the first time: YUM!
They didn't brew it themselves. It was only a couple of months later when I visited a friend that I first saw a decent brew of kombucha.
I remember seeing the scoby floating on the liquid, in the obscure, dark corner of a friend's room. Even though it looked kind of eerie, I was more intrigued and curious then anything else...

Fast forward to February 2020, I moved to Ennis. And suddenly, the COVID 19-pandemic breaks out. Being locked in our new place (with a big garden, luckily) we try and find ways to settle in. My man finds his joy in gardening, and I start with fermenting kombucha :).

Since then I fermented quite some liters of kombucha. I started off with a scoby that I had ordered online. Unfortunately, the scoby seemed really old. I managed to brew 1 time from it (and it was delicious), but the second brew fell still and mold appeared. So I threw everything away, but I grew a complete new scoby out of my first brew.
I have been brewing from there ever since :).

I tried adding flavors once (ginger and ginger/blackberry). I really liked it, but I like the regular kombucha the most :). Due to this season, the temperature stays between 18 & 20°C. So I brew for about 14 days. It gives me a beautiful kombucha, pH mostly between 2.5 and 2.9. Even after bottling I dare to leave the bottle out for another day or two for some fizz. Nice!

Maybe some more about me?
I'm male, 29 years old. I grew up and lived in Belgium (speaking Flemish) and, as you read, moved recently to Ennis in Ireland. My partner is from Ennis; I met him in April 2019 in Portugal. We both enjoy cooking together, going for hikes, spend mindfull time in nature and working out.
My favorite books are 'Inanna; Queen of Heaven and Earth', 'The Essential Rumi' and all the Harry Potter books.
Here in Ireland we have hiked in the most beautiful places (My favourite untill now i the Beentee Hike in Kerry. Other suggestions are highly welcome!).
I took a massage class last year, and intend to become a parttime massage therapist (Swedish, soundbowls, hot stone).
And I enjoy, of course, helping my partner in the garden.

Oh, yes, abut my username: We were working out at the gym last year, and my partner called me 'twinkletoes' (I love to dance to a good song, it doesn't matter where or in which crowd). I liked that name, to I took it :p (twinkletoes_91 on instagram). When registrating here, I misspelled it, so it is Twinketoes. Luckily that also sounds good :).

That's about it, I guess.

I'm happy to be here :).

Doei!
Hans

Hi welcome to the forum and Ireland. Your getting spoilt by the weather, Ireland is a beautiful country. Donegal has some nice walks and hikes.
Mount errigal probably being the most famous. Glenveagh national park is another nice walk. Check out the 7 sisters Donegal

Hi welcome to the forum and Ireland. Your getting spoilt by the weather, Ireland is a beautiful country. Donegal has some nice walks and hikes.
Mount errigal probably being the most famous. Glenveagh national park is another nice walk. Check out the 7 sisters Donegal

Thank you very much ^^

Back