Uk grain only..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFB

Landlord.
Reaction score
So in my efforts to be a better human being and lowering my carbon footprint I'm sticking to UK grain only.
Swapping my pilsner to lager and special B to dark roasted crystal.
Is there any non UK malt you couldn't do without?
Please don't mention American hops.
I could never be a good enough human to be without those😨

I used some No.19 Floor Maris Otter Extra Pale from Crisp. This is grown where I live in Norfolk so close by. I made a Smash with Chinook. Came out very clean and tasted more like a lager. I would like to brew again and treat like a pilsner with pilsner yeast and larger it at 11 deg. Maybe even a English hop would be good.

buddsy

Is there any non UK malt you couldn't do without?

It's kinda obscure, but honey malt is the one that's usually cited as having no direct equivalent anywhere else.

And some people would argue that floor-malted lager malts are not replaceable - OTOH you can only get Hana malts from Crisp which are UK-grown and make great lager (Hana being the most famous Czech heritage barley, the equivalent of Chevallier in the UK), so I wouldn't sweat that.

Please don't mention American hops.
I could never be a good enough human to be without those😨

Still no reason to use Magnum, CTZ etc when you could use Admiral for bittering, it all helps.

Smoked malts might be an issue. Home smoking being an obvious work around.

Simpsons DRC (double roast crystal) is the best alternative to Special B.

Latest posts

Back