UP'S CHESHIRE (staffordshire) Oatcakes recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclepumble

Landlord.
Reaction score
I decided to get some oatcakes on the go today for breakfast with some nice dry cure bacon black pudding and eggs etc.

Oatcakes are a must for a full English round here.

For the uneducated among you, they are like pancakes but made with oats and a staple food around the stoke on trent region.

Recipe
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup Oatmeal
1 cup wholemeal flour
1-1 1/2 pints water
1/2tsp salt
1tsp baking soda

Method
mix rolled oats, oatmeal , flour and salt with 1pint to 1 1/2 pints of water to make a runny batter.
leave min of 8 hrs or overnight.

5 mins before ready to cook add 1 tsp baking soda.

get a heavy based cast iron pan, skillet or non stick pan very hot and wipe with veg oil get the oil smoking then cook the batter as you would a pancake.

cc9ecae4.jpg

821a1d28.jpg

bd1b626d.jpg

These are also great served rolled up with melted cheese & fresh chopped toms in, or cheese and bacon, cheese and ham etc, just fill roll, then give em about 1 min in the microwave to melt the cheese.

I'm off to get some for my lunch now posting this has made me all hungry.

UP

MMM bacon cheese and tommy sauce :) will give the recipe a try for sure. I normally have to get a freind to buy them for me and collect from work :)

They look great Shane - I really need to give them a try sometime soon. :thumb:

Dunfie said:
They look great Shane - I really need to give them a try sometime soon. :thumb:

Damn right you do, calum they are much better than those dry alter biscuits you scots call oatcakes :D

A must for a fry up, you can't beat a broken duck egg in the middle of one.

Or some decent cheese good cooked bacon and chopped fresh toms splash of brown sauce, then roll em up and microwave for about 1min 30 secs to melt the cheese, top snack mid morning.

These are a really regional treat, they are eaten regulary on about a 25 mile radius of stoke on trent, but they taste that good I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY ARE NOT A NATIONAL DISH :wha: :wha:

OATCAKES THEY ARE THE FUTURE :thumb:

UP

I might have to give that a go UP. I do like a staffs oatcake especially with bacon and cheese, or with a banana for breakfast. You also get both staffs and lancashire ones in the shops up here (lancs are smaller and thicker).

Tattie scone for a fry up though, the Scotts have that one right IMO

Theres many a time I've used My yeast slurry to make oatcakes on a Sunday morning.

Thick ones thin ones and everything in between.

The smell is just fantastic.

Nice one UP!

Latest posts

Back