Very first brew: St Pter's Ruby Red

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the "handbags" about the bleach/StarSan situation!

:lol: Just proves that there's no really "right" way of brewing. Barring a few common denominators, you're free to pursue the path that works for you! I'm a retired scientist, but I love the fact that there's art and craft (if I may use that word without prejudice these days!!) in brewing, not just facts, figures and dogma. That's a large part of what makes it so enjoyable! (not to mention the excellent quality of beer that can be achieved.. :smile:)

For the record, I'm a bleach man myself. Why? Cos that's what I've done for years and years and it works.
Starsan does sound interesting, though, so who knows......:wink:

I put this on on Saturday and it has fermented slowly and is on 1.020, giving this at least two weeks in the fv an see if reaches target

I did this one on Saturday too. Live never come across hop powder before, but that stuff smells amazing!

Mine took off pretty quickly and it's bubbling away nicely with a good 2-3" Krausen. I'm very excited about this one.

I'm a starsan fan too, small bottle last ages its great stuff.
The ruby red was the first homebrew I had tasted in years a friend in work asked me to try a few of his bottles and let him know what I thought of them :drink: Liked them so much I bought a shed load of kit and am brewing my own :grin:

I checked the gravity of mine today, been sitting at 20°C for 7 days and only down to 1018. I was expecting somewhere near 1014 but it's staying in the FV for another week anyway so not to worry. The sample tasted very nice though. I don't do many kits but this is shaping up to be a cracker!

Just over a week and it got down to 1014 so I bottled. Had the bottles in the warm for a few days but now in the cold. It's in the hands of the beer gods now [emoji3]

I will make a test after 3 weeks in the bottles and see where it's at.

Bottled mine today and for some reason the calculator told me to put 62g of dextrose in and now it says 120g, guess it's not going to be very carbed

Update on mine, tried my test bottle on Wednesday and to my surprise it's carbed up nicely, very nice beer too [emoji106]

So mine has been in the bottles 4 weeks now and are still cloudy :( The first bottle I tried after 3 weeks I poured in 2 halfs, the first half was clear but the second half wasn't. The second bottle I poured as a pint and it was flat with no head and very cloudy :(

The wait continues!

Latest posts

Back