Brewing beer in a heat wave

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desmnd

Reaction score
Update. I brewed a St. Peters red ruby ail (which does not have a finings in it). I had it for 14 days with the SG going up and down in this heat wave(UK) and I even stirred it as well. I added a small amount of CO2 to get some pressure in it (beer is not the same as water) and after a few hours it was maintaining the pressure.

It is now 2 weeks in the KK and it is showing no signs of clearing. I do not know if this beer is destroyed. The only avenue I have is to DECANT it into another KK leaving what if any sediment is their, adding at least on of my Youngs liquid finings and re-primming it. Never brewed in a heatwave before and will never do this again.

Will one finings work, should ~I use all 4 or is this now a destroyed beer? I have been brewing for over 50 years but never experianced this.

I am out of my experience here (don't keg) , but here goes.

I doubt it is destroyed. It just isn't right.... if the only problem is it won't clear. Buy a ceramic pint pot 😁. Or write hazy on the label 'very on trend'

How does it actually taste?

I can't see why you can't open it, add finings, gently stir, re-gas. And follow the instructions on the pack.

After 14 days I transfered it into another KK and added some more sugar and 2 youngs liquid finings. After another week (3 in total) it is a bit better. I have a middle tap KK with a float. So I am taking from what should be the clearest.

Maybe I should have done my Skelmersdale dark beer. That is jet black.

Remember that hazy beer is not bad beer.
I would possibly keep a packet of high temp yeast which you can swap out if you brew in a similar situation.
Kveik is good and Novolager for Lagers with these 2 at least you will get a good drinkable beer it just maybe not exactly to type but handy to have

Good idea. I will find an oline shop for these. Thanks. Indoor temperature was up to 24C

I am brewing dark beers ails. I came across Safale BE-134. Is this best suited for lager or beer. It bosts a temperature range 18C - 26C. Largers do preferer cooler fermentation temperatures though. europe and Belgians call lagers beers anyway.

Last edited:
I am brewing dark beers ails. I came across Safale BE-134. Is this best suited for lager or beer. It bosts a temperature range 18C - 26C. Largers do preferer cooler fermentation temperatures though. europe and Belgians call lagers beers anyway.
I am pretty sure SE-134 is a Saison yeast, very highly attenuating and fairly tolerant of heat. Saison may be something of an acquired taste, but all the beers I have made with it have been good.

Seconded on the saison and/or kveik in hot weather. Look at it as an opportunity to do something different. And it ferments very quickly too

Thanks for your help. I have found a supplier of Kveik yeast.

I love a Saison, but if you don't want all your summer brews to have a very assertive fruity/phenolic flavour then US-05, Nottingham, K-97 are a better choice. At higher temperatures they'll attenuate well and make a drinkable beer. Better than Kveik which in the majority of cases have some unconventional esters.

I brewed last night and today has been very warm in the mid to high 20s, I used Verdant IPA, perhaps US-05 might have been a better choice, will just have to wait and see. Probably should have done my usual and made a saison but my last brew was a saison and I wanted something different 🤷 I'll know in a few weeks

I've deliberately not used my fermentation fridge recently, opting to experiment with a shallow, flat bottomed FV. Something that was the norm in this country for many years. At least three of my recent brews have peaked at 25-26C. I'm finding I get the fruity esters I want without Fusels and Sulphur off flavours, it improves the mouthfeel too. It's definitely something could be worth trying with a very neutral yeast.

Last edited:
I've deliberately not used my fermentation fridge recently, opting to experiment with a shallow, flat bottomed FV. Something that was the norm in this country for many years. At least three of my recent brews have peaked at 25-26C. I'm finding I get the fruity esters I want without Fusels and Sulphur off flavours, it improves the mouthfeel too. It's definitely something could be worth trying with a very neutral yeast.
I feel I'm missing something here. Am I the only one?
Could you elaborate? What is this shallow fermenter of which you speak and how does it allow you to make good beer at a temperature higher than recommended for the yeast?

I feel I'm missing something here. Am I the only one?
Could you elaborate? What is this shallow fermenter of which you speak and how does it allow you to make good beer at a temperature higher than recommended for the yeast?
A fermenter where the wort depth is less than width. It reduces hydrostatic pressure on yeast. And has a greater surface area for off gassing Co2 and volatiles. This reduces stress on yeast and promotes healthier growth, with less requirement for amino acids that form part of the body of beer. Although, it results in more esters. Great for British ales.

I'm not necessarily saying go as high as 25c, that's just what I measured at the very centre of the fermentations from my experimenting, from a pitch temp of 19-20c.

Pitching lower would also help.

Yup. I can't comment for beer.
For wine exactly right and the reason fermentation shape is important (takes me back to college) and I ferment wine to peak at 30c.

⅔ the working height.... Or was that ladders 🤣🤣

Latest posts

Back