very lively lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cask is best

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi I have a lager kit [Coopers] and when i crack a bottle and pour it it has more head than liquid and takes about ten minutes before i can top it up. Also i have had two bottles from the same batch that have been as flat as a fart.
Can any one direct me.
:cheers:

Maybe you inadvertently missed priming sugar on those that aren't pressurised? Easily done!

Failing that it's either defective seals on the bottle lids or possibly a sterilisation issue affecting those bottles that don't have pressure?

First of all lets ask some questions: -

Did you prime each bottle or batch prime

What was the FG?

How long have you left them to condition

How did you condition them i.e. warm place ... days......cool place ......etc etc

Hollow Legs said:
First of all lets ask some questions: -

What was the FG?

How did you condition them i.e. warm place ... days......cool place ......etc etc

Hi Hollow legs.
I batch primed 184g sugar dissolved in warm water.

Did not take a final gravity reading just waited till bubbles stopped rising although this took around 12 days in an un heated room.

left them to condition 2 weeks aorund 1 week in warm and 1 week in cool place on 13th day placed a few in the fridge. If memory serves me right

I've noticed that when I bottle - the last few bottles usually have much more sediment in them (as they come from the bottom of the fermenter) and these bottles are A LOT fizzier when I open them.

cask is best said:
[quote="Hollow Legs":1ka4b285]First of all lets ask some questions: -

What was the FG?

Hi Hollow legs.

Did not take a final gravity reading just waited till bubbles stopped rising although this took around 12 days in an un heated room.

left them to condition 2 weeks aorund 1 week in warm and 1 week in cool place on 13th day placed a few in the fridge. If memory serves me right[/quote:1ka4b285]

The problem could be your using to much sugar .... 184g ??? i've alway used 80g per 5 gallon and never had a problem .

cask is best said:
[quote="Hollow Legs":lifj2nio]First of all lets ask some questions: -

What was the FG?

Hi Hollow legs.

left them to condition 2 weeks aorund 1 week in warm and 1 week in cool place on 13th day placed a few in the fridge. If memory serves me right[/quote:lifj2nio]

I personally have had better results leaving them in a warm place for 2 weeks and then in a cool place for a week and then in the fridge the day before consumption.

If you don't check the FG then you can't tell if it has stopped fermenting properly and can cause problems if you bottle with glass.

I use 120g per 23ltr for lager less for bitter?

I presume when you say that you waited until the bubbles stopped rising that you are using an airlock?

I brew Coopers Euro lager in an unheated room and sometimes it can ferment for 3 weeks at around 16-18degC

Please be very careful with your FG as when I first started to do home brew in the 80's I never checked the FG and a bottle exploded and I ended up in hospital for 10 days with a rupture behind my eye.

Good luck with your brew :cheers:

Colin.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think the problem is to much sugar. Will also heed the checking of the final gravity.Most kits say around 7 days in the f.v and i always worry if they have been in for 10 + etc this latest one was in for 14 days so i was getting worried it would go off or something.
btw It was Coopers Aus lager.
Still living and learning. Suppose i have to make mistakes before i can get a perfect brew most of the times.

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back