VWP and Mother of Vinegar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncs

Landlord.
Reaction score
I was bottling up today and had my bottling bucket full of vwp. Did my usual rinse of the bucket after sanitising all the bottles and went on to fill the bucket with my beer and bottle up. When I was cleaning up afterwards, I noticed this jelly like stuff stuck in the tap which I suspect was mother of vinegar. Would VWP kill any nasties in there or have I now got 40 bottles of vinegar?

Did it smell vinegary or did the beer taste vinegary?

Did you use any finnings prior to bottling?

Thinking about it Mother of vinegar starts on the top and then sinks to the bottom as the pellicle gets too heavy, then forms a new one which ultimately sinks. It also takes a fair few months to get a MOV and you would have realised you had an FV full of vinegar before you had a MOV.

It wasn't anything in the fv, it was in the tap of the bottling bucket. I normally clean the tap but I couldn't have cleaned it properly the last time I bottled up and must have left some beer in the tap. It was sitting in vwp for about an hour, and my perfectly good beer has been running through it. Only when I was cleaning up this time did I find it.

I guess you will know for sure in a few weeks. But if it was MOV I would have thought it would get flushed out in the first few bottles rather than hang in there till the end.

Latest posts

Back