water containers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobartex

Reaction score
I have access to the 5lt water containers from Tesco and the like. Are these any good for storing finished wine in and if so for how long would be recommended?
I would appreciate any comments.

Bob

I use them all the time Bob, the water ones.

I thoroughly de-gass and quite happily keep red fruit wines in them for well over twelve months before bottling, was always told its best to age in bulk. One problem with the ribbing sides is there only fit for one use as i wouldn't be happy with dirt getting stuck in the kinks, saying that though there only about a £1 a go

Surely a cleaning solution and good bit of shaking and soaking will dislodge any dirt?

I'd have thought so too, they are curves and not corners, my 5 litre bottles get recycled and replaced quite regularly but I've cleaned and re-used my 15 litre PETs several times over.

It was JMHO about the ribbed sides, I suppose if you left them to soak in a weak bleach or other sanitising solution they'd be okay, but I'd rather not take the risk after fermenting for weeks and racking only to find an infection had spoiled the wine

Latest posts

Back