Which Digital Scale for Water Additions?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Branny

Beer swillin, pie munchin, fat mon
Reaction score
Hello all

I'm wanting to up my game with water, using the site calculator.

Amazon is full of digi scales that go from 20 -500g measuring in 0.01g.

Do you have any scales for water additions that you would recommend?

As always any advice is hugely appreciated.

Thank you.

Just had a look and the one I bought two years ago from Amazon is no longer available, but pretty happy with it. I don't think you need to spend loads to get something acceptable

I use these dealer scales - Pocket Scale- Ascher Portable Digital Scale with Back-lit LCD Display, Elite Digital Pocket Scale 200 x 0.01g, Mini scales 200g, Mini Digital Weighing Scale https://amzn.eu/d/5UK77AQ
Yes these too- I like that they fold up neatly. I also use them for weighing hops. You do need to use a plastic rather than glass container due to the maximum of 200g.

But I use a syringe and a teaspoon for water treatment.
Not everything needs batteries 😁
How do you measure gypsum/calcium chloride using a teaspoon and syringe when water calculators tell you how much in grams to add?

Thanks all. Went with the Ascher scales as recommended on here (which I also has in the Amazon basket amongst other contenders). Thanks again.

How do you measure gypsum/calcium chloride using a teaspoon and syringe when water calculators tell you how much in grams to add?
You do it the easy way with AMS & DWB . Syringe and a teaspoon in that order.

My water calculator does AMS in ml and DWB in teaspoons (tsp =5g) 😁👍🏻

Last edited:
Gypsum is a bit troublesome to measure volumetrically, although if using AMS (as @MashBag recommends above) to clear a lot of "Alkalinity", it dumps a fair bit of sulphate in the water at the same time (and is liquid!). You can't make a useable solution of gypsum, it doesn't dissolve at high concentration (I don't think Epsom Salt is much better).

Calcium Chloride is no bother: Measuring it volumetrically (teaspoon) is not an issue. It won't be that accurate, but will weighing it be any more accurate? The stuff is so hygroscopic the only time you can weigh it accurately is when you first open the container that's been supplied from an analytical supplier who've specified the hydration level and documented the water content. Or "cook" it before use to be better sure it's anhydrous. Na, what a phaff. Buy a 33% solution (sold for cheesemaking) or make a solution (you can check the concentration of a <10% solution with a brewing hydrometer)).

Back