Weldless ball valve question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveb

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been thinking about getting a large SS stock pot and adding a weldless ball valve.......I was wondering is it imperative that i use only Stainless Steel fittings as they seem quite hard to come by and most uk suppliers seem limited to ebay and will no doubt incur hidden shipping/tax import charges...

My budget is somewhat limited and i was wondering if i could somehow adopt a basic ball valve like this to achieve my objectives.

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/plumbing/plu ... e-11477755

Is this a realistic cheaper/safe option?.....i have heard brass fittings need to be pickled due to the lead content....am not too sure what the valve in my link is made from..but it doesn't look like brass.....does anyone know what it could be made from? :wha:

Basically what do you think of using it instead of an all SS valve kit?......or if its not recommended does someone know of a reliable cheap uk supplier of an all SS kit instead of using ebay?....sorry if i sound a bit confused, if anyone can point me in the right direction i would be very grateful....thanks!

Lots of folks use brass ball valves in their systems. Those who use stainless tend to use 3 piece so they can be dismantled and cleaned...not that I do mine that often :whistle:
1 piece 1/2" stainless ball valve (item 16829) = £6.98 = VAT from BES...note delivery £4.95 ish.

Thank you for your help.....ive just been B&Q and purchased one..thanks again... :thumb:

muddydisco said:
Try BES http://www.bes.co.uk/
Do lots of Stainless fittings. No problem with the taps your looking at but most people that go with stainless tend to use it throughout the brewery.

Be careful though. I enquired about ball valves on the site and was told that many are not rated to 100c so if wanted for a boiler it's worth asking the question first.

You would be better off using all stainless as disimilar metals will cause your stainless to go rusty.

Thanks guys both points are taken.. i will do a trial run at 100c and also keep an eye out for rust..i have already fitted the valve...and it seems fine so far..

that seems fine to me although a little dear but then i pay trade prices , btw hop strainers are copper so i would of thought no probs after all its meant for domestic boilers etc ,whats the worst can happen :pray:

Latest posts

Back