West Dorset Newbie

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RokDok

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi, from rural West Dorset,

A few of us clubbed together a few years ago and bought a vigo cider press- we've made plenty of cider since then and are now going to try our hands at brewing . We've never added anything to the juice that we've pressed, just let nature do its work and the results have been really worthwhile.
We're really looking forward to getting cracking with beer.There are six of us and I've been charged with getting the gear- big enough that we can spend a day at it together and have enough each to ferment yet small enough that we can each do our own batches. I've bought a 36 l pan with hop strainer and ball valve tap-I'm going to take the strainer off and use it as an HLT (gas) which I hope should be enough to do each mash/sparge cycle. For the boiler I've ordered a 71 l Genware stockpot to which I'll fit a tap and add the hop strainer. The kit is going to get quite a bit of use so I think I'm going to order a stainless steel thermos marmite off French E-bay to use as a mash tun, replace the tap and get a ready made false bottom for it- not sure quite what size to get 50 l or ? 70l. Together with a propane burner I reckon this should work out less than £100 for each of us. We've got plenty of plastic FVs from our cider making but I'd really like a s/s one - any ideas on this would be much appreciated-I like the French Marmite but I'm not sure how I'd fit an airlock, without the potential for water to get between the skins of the lid.
Well, thats about as far as we've got.
Haven't thought about brews or ingredients yet but any comments or advice so far would be really appreciated.

Chers RokDok.

howdy. am I right in saying you are going to be brewing for six? if so, check out the yeast harvesting tutorial in the how to section - buying a few plastic vials and recycling your yeast could potentially save you 10 quid per brewday!

welcome and best of luck :)

Thanks Rob, that's a really useful tip. We'll do some kits first then and keep the yeast. We've still got plenty of cider to bottle and I wonder if the wild yeast from that would be worth a try at some stage ?

I doubt it for a beer - good yeasts cost a few quid a packet, and they're the product of a long line of research and years of experience, and many are style dependent. I'm not saying it won't work, and it won't be good, but the difference that a good yeast makes to a beer is immeasurable!

Most kits come with bad yeast btw. You wouldn't go wrong swapping it out with an expensive beer yeast, although I am quite impressed with the coopers yeast, particularly the compacting!

Thanks for the welcome and advice
We're going to go straight into AG brewing I think, and do three batches to kick off ( one between two), so Rob we'll take your advice, we'll go for 3 different yeasts- including the coopers, and make sure we keep a sample for future brews.
Not having a lot of luck getting a thermos pot off French Ebay at the moment, can't put the shipping in I have mailed them to ask how much it is but see under the FAQ that they don't ship internationally.We'll wait & see.

Thanks

Paul

Back