Wez's Owd Conkers 1.062 ~48IBU Strong Dark Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
It's from Marc Ollossons book, "Real Ales for the Home Brewer" Malton Brewery Co. "Owd Bob" His description of this beer: An ale with a dry fruity, charachter, that does not have the usual sweet edge associated with higher gravity ales.

25L Brewlength
Target OG 1.062 (based on 70% brewhouse efficiency)
Target IBU ~48
60* Minute 66 degree mash
60* Minute boil

6610g Maris Otter (94.04%)
230g Crystal Malt (3.22%)
190 Black Malt (2.74%)
67g Challenger [7.00 %] (First Wort Hop**) ~ 42 IBU
20g Challenger [7.00 %] (15 min) ~ 6 IBU

Pic of finished product to follow.

*The 60 min mash and boil is for my own convenience so that I can get a brew done in a short space of time, Marc's book recommends a 2hr mash and 2hr boil, personally if I had the time I'd probably go for a 90 min mash & boil.

**The book states 'start of boil' I prefer to add the initial copper hops as first wort hops.

I tapped this tonight and am just enjoying the first pint :drink:

Here is the Brewday Thread I had a few problems with this one actually I still have a sore on my ankle from the hot water incident :roll: It got down to 1012 so it's ~ 5.0%, not the strength I wanted but it'll do.

Taste wise it's good as i'm a bit bored of all of the pale hoppy beers I've been drinking of late, I actually think this one tastes a bit thin, it's a good malty taste and has a lingering fruity/dry aftertaste, it's quite nice to sit and sup this waiting for the next downpour :roll:

Here's the pic

030.jpg

Well worth all the mishaps by the looks of it. Hope that foot isn't too badly scolded. Brings back a few memories... :oops:

I do like the look of this beer, something to keep in mind for later in the winter me thinks :party:

Oblivious said:
I do like the look of this beer, something to keep in mind for later in the winter me thinks :party:

It's a good one Ob :drink: I'm gonna try to get it to the correct 6% abv next time though :oops: :roll:

Hi Wez
:?: please.
Just got this little drop of nectar fizzing away niceley, just wondered what you primed your barrell with? :cheers:
Mash

Hi Mash

I force carbed the keg rather than adding primings, but for 23L/25L 80g spray malt disolved in boiled water and cooled would be good :thumb:

Glad you brewed it, let us know what you think of it :thumb:

I fancy brewing it again now i've looked at the picture :drink:

looks really good, i will be pleased if mine ends up like that, great colour int it? :thumb:

Wez said:
Hi Mash

I force carbed the keg rather than adding primings, but for 23L/25L 80g spray malt disolved in boiled water and cooled would be good :thumb:

Glad you brewed it, let us know what you think of it :thumb:

The OWD BOB went down a treat, vanished very quickly, we had a bit of a doo fort Ma in Law's 80th Birthday. I thought it tasted a bit thin at first as someone else posted before, but soon got over that minor point and hit the spot just right :drunk: :D

Latest posts

Back