What a sad little life....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottM

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm like a kid in a sweetie shop because I've ordered an SSD harddrive and it should be delivered tomorrow :D

I've been wanting one for years now but I just couldn't justify the cost for the size of them. I'm not a gamer or anything like that, just a bit of a techno junkie and want the best I can get for basically no other reason lol.

It'll be going into my laptop, which is a decent spec, and hopefully will come in very handy when editing my little girls "A year in the life of" video.

Seriously can't wait :D :oops:

BrotherMalice said:
Still think they are expensive for what they are, my father in law has one in one of his PC's and fair play its much quicker now so its worth it, just cant justify the cost yet

Yeah, to be honest I can't really justify it. My only real justification is I really really want it and now that the prices have came down a bit I can afford it, even though I needed to grit my teeth when I looked at the storage capacity while hitting "buy" lol.

I'm replacing a 750gb laptop HDD with a 240gb one though which will mean I'll need to keep a caddy handy lol.

I would recommend a rigourous backup schedule...

SSDs are brilliant and quick but, if the stories around the net are to be believed, when they give up, they give up big time!

I use one as a boot drive on one of my PC's It may only be a dual core P4, but boot times are much quicker than using my i% machine with a Samsung Spinpont F3.

Program load times are pretty damned good too . . . Especially for something like Photo shop CS

calumscott said:
I would recommend a rigourous backup schedule...

SSDs are brilliant and quick but, if the stories around the net are to be believed, when they give up, they give up big time!

That's one of the other reasons that I decided to hold off. The reliability has also improved dramatically.

With it being NAND chips I'm fairly certain the data can be recovered reasonably easily (by a professional obviously) so all is not lost in the event of an integrity collapse :D

All I have that's important is my pics and my video, I back them all up to my server so should be OK :)

Side by side tests at that my mrs carried out showed unless your pushing huge amounts of data around the benefits aren't worth it for home use. It only came into its own running large program's like autocad with huge drawings on them.

I won't be going up to them for home use.

Muddydisco said:
Side by side tests at that my mrs carried out showed unless your pushing huge amounts of data around the benefits aren't worth it for home use. It only came into its own running large program's like autocad with huge drawings on them.

I won't be going up to them for home use.

Boot time with my spec is around 15 seconds compared to my current 45. Copying multiple small files is far quicker as there is no seek time. Opening and running programs is instant, granted it's not slow at the moment but everything will be much snappier as there is no seek time.

The main benefit I'll have, other than everything opening much faster, is when editing uncompressed HD footage from my camcorder and when editing large pictures in photoshop.

The technology has came on a long way to be honest. The specs of the laptops and PCs are now at the point where the HDD is the bottle neck (by quite some way), adding an SSD takes this bottleneck away and basically lands it back at the chipset (for now).

ScottM said:
The technology has came on a long way to be honest. The specs of the laptops and PCs are now at the point where the HDD is the bottle neck (by quite some way), adding an SSD takes this bottleneck away and basically lands it back at the chipset (for now).
I'd agree with that, we are looking at using SSDs in our next SAN rather than Spindle disks as we just can't get the IOPs from standard disks . . . although we are talking 'Server Grade' SSDs rather than the normal retail grade. . . . Prices have come tumbling down recently as well at the beginning of the year we were looking at around 4 grand per disk, now they are only 800 quid (IIRC for 1TB disks but don't quote me on that)

I found a hybrid type drive that has 10GB iirc of sad, and the rest (740 GB) as normal. Put in my MacBook, and difference is huge. An ssd would be better, but for price justification, and storage,I was happy with it...

lovelldr said:
I found a hybrid type drive that has 10GB iirc of sad, and the rest (740 GB) as normal. Put in my MacBook, and difference is huge. An ssd would be better, but for price justification, and storage,I was happy with it...

Yeah I had a look at them. Not far off SSD speeds once it gets used to your pattern. I did think about getting that as it was the same price as the one I got, but obviously with 750gb vs the 240gb I got.

I decided against it though as I wanted the efficiency benefits etc as well.

Quite clever the way those things work. The drive monitors the files you access the most and stores them in the SSD partition, so after a few boots everything you use for the boot is stored in the SSD making it comparable.

ScottM said:
It'll be going into my laptop, which is a decent spec, and hopefully will come in very handy when editing my little girls "A year in the life of" video.
:

Priceless :thumb:

Back in the day I recommended all my friends bought camcorders when their kids came along - my first was a rather large affair compared to now (camcorder not bairn) :oops: but the fun you will all get from looking back is honestly immeasurable :cool:

My four kids love to get the old footage out when theirs nowt on the box, and it's hilarious to see what was passed as fashionable back in the day :eek: :eek: :party: :party:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Keep on filming ;)

oldstout said:
ScottM said:
:

Priceless :thumb:

Back in the day I recommended all my friends bought camcorders when their kids came along - my first was a rather large affair compared to now (camcorder not bairn) :oops: but the fun you will all get from looking back is honestly immeasurable :cool:

My four kids love to get the old footage out when theirs nowt on the box, and it's hilarious to see what was passed as fashionable back in the day :eek: :eek: :party: :party:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Keep on filming ;)

Haha, yeah that was my thinking right at the very beginning. While the Wife was planning ££'s on prams, cots, decorating, clothes, etc, etc, etc I just said to her that she could do what she wanted as long as I had 2 things... a decent camcorder and a decent camera.

Obviously we have calmed down a lot on the photo and video taking over the last 2 years but it's only calmed down to a frenzy I would guess. My little girl is 2 years old (turned 2 in April) and I currently have over 20 hours of video and over 7000 pics :D

Absolutely priceless every single one of them and I always recommend to everyone expecting to make sure they get themselves a reasonable camera & camcorder. They grow up too quickly so it's good to look back every now and again, we even do it from time to time now.

I can only imagine what it's like for yourself getting out the videos when the videos are from a good few years back. Good times! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back