What happens (if anything) If I mix 2 packets of different yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Datanode101

Reaction score
Hey all,

Quite a happy chap at the minute and I'm 100% behind hydrating the yeast before pitching (Check me out with the lingo..lol)

I've also bought some Diammonium Phosphate (Yeast nutrient) I made a brew yesterday, and used 2KG sugar, (So I get about a 10% beer) 2.5 grams of the nutrient and also let my yeast hydrate for about 30 mins before adding to the fermenter.

The nutrient went into the mix and then when I had a good temperature I pitched the yeast.

I'm using "High Alcohol" yeast *A starter may be required for brews above 10L, and we recommend 2 to 3 packs for 22.5l brews. However, with a good starter 1 pack will ferment 22.5l.

I had a batch stall on me the other week and I wasn't sure if it was down to the yeast being killed of by the cold or the alcohol. So this time I used the packet of yeast that came with the can and also a packet of the high Alcohol,

What effect will this have on the beer? does yeast have a impact on the flavour? I take it they won't attack each other as there all friends right? just some will be more tolerant to the high alcohol? I see some people add a little sugar or syrup to the yeast when it's sitting, but because of my high sugar content I thought it be better to eat all that, rather than a pinch of sugar whilst there waiting.

Thanks - The N00B :)

As I understand it there is a difference between rehydrating a dry yeast and making a starter. Rehydration is merely to activate the yeast for a short time before pitching, whereas a starter is where the yeast undergoes a cell multiplication stage which takes considerably longer and may involve such wizardry as stir plates and conical bottles. No doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong. athumb..

Ah yes! that's what I've been getting mixed up with then thinking they were both the same, All I'm doing is hydrating them, I guess when they start adding syrup and sugar that must be as you say "Starter" It's already kicked of this morning, about 4 am, so hydrating is defo the way forward!

You ever used "live" yeast, you know the watery stuff, or is it just the same as what I'm doing....

Thanks

When you make a starter you're getting the yeast started off in a perfect environment as you're adding a full vial to a 1, 2, 3 or 4 litre simple wort. Agitating it via shaking it/swirling it into suspension and providing it extra oxygen, via a stir plate or just swirling it as you go past will start the yeast off on their aerobic growth phase, meaning they'll grow and multiply as they gorge themselves on oxygen more than the sugar in the wort. Essentially by making a starter you're growing your yeast count in an environment less stressful than a full beer (at least with a starter 100g DME to per Litre). You only use a starter for liquid yeasts or to revitalise out of date dry yeasts packs.

There's a lot of different opinions on whether you need to hydrate dry yeast with manufacturers themselves differing in their opinion (Lallemand in particular).

I haven't used dry yeast for years, but the prevailing wisdom seems to be two camps made up of those who hydrate because they've always done so and those who don't and don't notice a difference acheers.

I get most of my info from David Heath videos and he just splashes his cooled wort into the fermenter, when it's half full sprinkles the dry yeast on top and splashes the rest over it.

Awesome! Thanks all. athumb..

@St00 Do you use the "live yeast" the little bottles of it..? all watery etc.

I use liquid yeasts, so the little vials from Whitelabs, the big packs from Imperial or the smackpacks from Wyeast.

I actually realized after posting I do use dry yeast, but kveik from a chap I know from forums on eBay, but as it's kveik I always use half a teaspoon and ferment it at 35°c. . . .

This weekend I pitched 1.5l starter of American Ale 2 and it's fermented out in 3.5 days, so it seems to work for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back